[ L ][ Li ][ M ] [ Mc ][ Mi ][ N ] [ O ][ P ][ Pi ] [ R ][ Rh ][ S ] [ Schm ][ Schr ] [ Schu ][ Se ][ Sh ]
[ Smi ][ Sn ][ St ] [ T ][ U ][ V ] [ W ][ Wi ][ Y ] [ Z ]
EDWARD L. KELLEY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.111-112. Edward L. Kelley, who has been prominent in legal and fraternal circles of Manitowoc for a number of years, is a native of this city, and was born September 27, 1874, a son of Captain Timothy and Anna (Buggey) Kelley. John Kelley, the grandfather of Edward L., was born in Ireland, and on coming to the United States settled in Manitowoc, about 1856, buying wild land in the county, on which he died shortly thereafter. Captain Timothy Kelley comes by his title as a lake captain, having held that rank since he was twenty-one years old, at which time he was the youngest captain on the Great Lakes. He is now in charge of the steamer Maryland, and is known all over the lakes as a brave and efficient officer, and as one of the oldest in point of service. He was married in Chicago to Miss Anna Buggey, daughter of Edward Buggey, of New York, who died in that state, after which his wife brought her children to Manitowoc in 1863. Captain and Mrs. Kelley had seven children, as follows: Mayme, who married Matthew Ryan, of Michigan; Edward L.; John, a physician of Cato; Harry, city attorney of Manitowoc; Charles, who met his death in a railroad accident; Timothy J., who is engaged in the gas business in Beloit, Wisconsin; and Kenneth, chief clerk at the Green Bay Reformatory. Edward L. Kelley attended the public and high schools of Manitowoc and the University of Wisconsin. He was graduated from the law department of that institution in 1896 and immediately thereafter entered upon the practice of his profession in this city. For five years he was a member of the firm of Schenian & Kelley and nine years a member of the firm of Baensch & Kelley, and is now practicing under the firm name of Kelley & Ledvina. His skill as an attorney has earned him the election as city attorney for four terms and as district attorney for one term, and he has also served in the capacity of alderman. On June 27, 1899, Mr. Kelley was married to Miss Margaret Usher, daugher of James and Margaret (Hayes) Usher, of Madison, Wisconsin. In political matters he is a republican, and he and his wife are members of the Catholic church. Mr. Kelley is district deputy of the Knights of Columbus and has been state advocate and delegate to national conventions of that order, and also holds membership in the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Elks. He has always been prominently identified with those movements which have for their object the betterment of conditions in any line in Manitowoc, and has brought to them the enthusiasm and progressive ideas that characterized his work as a public official and which have made him prominent in his private practice. JOHN M. KELLEY, M. D. This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.420-421. Probably no other profession has advanced so rapidly during recent decades as has medicine, and as this advance still continues, the physician who would win success must keep abreast of the new inventions and discoveries constantly being made. One of Manitowoc county's rising young medical practitioners, whose chosen field of practice is the village of Cato, is John M. Kelley, who was born May 10, 1876, in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, a son of Captain Timothy and Annie (Buggie) Kelley, of Springfield,Massachusetts, and Haverstraw, New York, respectively. Dr. Kelley's parents were married in Chicago, and shortly thereafter settled in Manitowoc, where they still reside, the father being sixty-two years and the mother fifty-nine years old. Since he was twenty-one years of age, Captain Kelley has been a sailor on the Great Lakes, and he has been a captain since the time of his marriage, and is still in active service, being one of the best known figures in the lakes trade. The subject of this sketch is the third of the seven children born to his parents. John M. Kelley received his early education in the parochial and public schools of Manitowoc, and was graduated from the medical department of Marquette University in 1905, after which he spent one year in Trinity Hospital, Milwaukee, and a like period in practice in Milwaukee. In the fall of 1907 he came to Cato, and here he has been engaged in the practice of his profession to the present time with much success. His skill displayed in a number of serious cases has served to increase his practice by winning the confidence of the people of his community, and his pleasant personality has made him popular with all who know him. On June 15, 1910, Dr. Kelley was married to Miss Sadie Brennan, who was born September 21, 1878, the sixth of the nine children born to Bernard and Mary (Murphy) Brennan, natives of Ireland and Montreal, Canada, respectively. The parents were married in Wisconsin, and Mr. Brennan died in 1904, while his widow survives and resides in Cato. Dr. and Mrs. Kelley are members of St. Patrick’s Catholic church of Maple Grove, and he is connected with the Knights of Columbus, the Catholic Order of Foresters and the Modern Woodmen of America. In political matters he takes an independent stand, and he is now serving his first term as clerk of the school board. JOHN C. KELLNER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.71-72. John C. Kellner, who is conducting a feed, flour, produce and farming machinery business at Manitowoc, is one of the city’s well known business men. He was born May 23, 1855, in Kellnersville, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, and is a son of Michael and Mary (Allt) Kellner. Joseph Kellner, the grandfather of John Kellner, was born in Neumark, Bohemia, and brought his family to America in 1850, locating first in Quebec, Canada, where Joseph Kellner worked in Williams’ tannery. Mr. Williams then married one of Mr. Kellner’s daughters, and the family came to Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, and settled on wild land in Kossuth township, where Joseph Kellner spent the remainder of his life. Michael Kellner was engaged in operating a farm and in connection conducted the store, which is now owned and managed by his sons and is the largest country store in the county. He also followed the tanning trade, and in 1860 built a flour mill in Kossuth township, which is still owned by his sons. He died September 22, 1890, and his widow still survives, as do their three sons and four of their six daughters. Michael Kellner was a prominent man of his day and served as postmaster of Kellnersville for thirty-six years and as justice of the peace for thirty—five years. John C. Kellner was reared at the home of his aunt, Mrs. Williams, and as a boy attended school in Manitowoc. He was associated with his father in business, and after the latter’s death he and his brother Michael took charge of the store, hotel and farm in Kossuth township, and Michael became postmaster at Kellnersville. In 1886 they established the produce, flour, feed and farming machinery store in Manitowoc, and John C. Keliner has since had charge of this branch of the business. On October 26, 1881, Mr. Kellner was married to Miss Annie Pankratz, who was born in Manitowoc, daughter of George and Philipina Pankratz, who came to this county about 1855. Mr. Pankratz owned a mill and a lumberyard for many years in Manitowoc, where he served in the office of mayor for a long period. Two sons have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Kellner: George C., born in 1884, who is engaged with his father in business; and Lewis J., born April 27, 1893, who is organist at the Episcopal church, of which the family are all members. Mrs. Kellner died January 22, 1909. Mr. Kellner is fraternally connected with the Elks. He has been prominent in political affairs all of his life, and has served as a member of the Manitowoc city council, and while a resident of Kossuth township served as justice of the peace for a number of years. *********** November, 1922 PIONEER WISCONSIN CONCERN REORGANIZES. Reorganization of the pioneer flour, feed and general mercantile firm of M. Kellner & Sons, Manitowoc and Kellnersville, Wis., has been announced John C. Kellner, has taken over the store in Manitowoc. Michael J. Kellner becomes exclusive owner and manager of the properties at Kellnersville, consisting of a feed mill, flour and feed store, farm machinery, general merchandise and real estate business. The late Michael Kellner, Sr. established the business in Kellnersville in 1855, and in 1885 the branch at Manitowoc was opened. "Flour and Feed: Devoted To The Interests of The Flour and Feed Trade", Volume 23, Packages Publishing Co., 1922, Page 31 JOSEPH A. KELLNER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.168. Public opinion establishes the position of Joseph A. Kellner as one of the foremost citizens not only of Maribel but of the county. The word fail seems to have no place in his vocabulary. He has undertaken many things and he accomplishes whatever he undertakes. He seems to readily recognize every business opportunity and his labors have been elements not only in the attainment of individual success but also in the promotion of public progress through his own capably managed business. A native of Germany, Joseph A. Kellner was born in Neumark, Bohemia, on the 22d of June, 1868. His paternal grandfather, Anton Kellner, engaged in the general stage and teaming business in his native town. His son Anton, also born in Neumark, Bohemia, followed the occupation of farming in his native country and was also a post carrier. He was thus engaged for forty-two years, during which period he served as postilion between points in Austria and Bavaria. He is still living, his birthday being the same as that of the Emperor of Austria. He married Catherine Gerl, also a native of Neumark, and she still survives at about the same age as her husband. In their family were eight children; of whom six are yet living: Francesca, who is the wife of Franz Kellner, of Germany; Franz, who is living in Marshfield, Wisconsin; Anton, a resident of Servia; Theresa, the wife of Andrus Engel, of Zurich Switzerland; Joseph A; Catherine, the wife of Michael Pankratz, of Neumark; and Maria and Max, both now deceased. Joseph A. Kellner had few advantages in his youth. As a boy of twelve years he came to America with an aunt and they made their way to New Ulm, Minnesota. He began work as a farm hand in the employ of a Norwegian family, who were in such limited financial circumstances that they had no money with which to build a home and lived in a cave known as a dugout. Mr. Kellner’s bed was upon the floor of the cave and his salary was but eight dollars per month. The Norwegian family, however, was a thrifty one and after a year was able to build a more modern and comfortable home. On leaving that employ Mr. Kellner came to Wisconsin and entered the employ of his uncle, Michael Kellner, in Manitowoc county. For four and one-half years he engaged in clerking in the employ of his uncle and subsequently he spent one year as driver of a delivery wagon. He was afterward engaged in the meat-market business for a year and a half and he spent a similar period in the employ of the Goodrich Transportation Company. He then again went to the home of his uncle, with whom he remained for four years. At the end of that time he was married and opened a saloon at Kellnersville, Wisconsin, where he carried on business for fourteen years. He then sold out and when the Lake Shore railroad was brought through Maribel he purchased property and built thereon a hotel and saloon. He is at present one of the foremost citizens of the town and district. He is not only conducting a good business as proprietor of a hotel and saloon but is also interested in the Maribel Grain Company as a director and was one of its promoters. He is likewise engaged in the banking business and is a man of unfaltering energy and determination, who carries forward to successful completion whatever he undertakes. The Maribel State Bank is a comparatively recent business enterprise of the town which owes its existence to Mr. Kellner, and in its conduct he displays the same sound judgment and keen sagacity that he has shown in other connections. He was one of the promoters of the village of Maribel and at all times has been a stalwart champion of its interests. On the 25th of November, 1891, Mr. Kellner was united in marriage to Miss Delia Musil, who was born in the township of Kossuth, Manitowoc county, in 1872, and is a daughter of Wenzel Musil, a tailor by trade, who was born in Prague, Bohemia. He married Anna Hanna and they came to the new world in 1865. They made their way at once to Manitowoc, where the father followed the tailor’s trade but later established his home at Kossuth, where he followed farming in addition to tailoring. He died August 31, 1909, at the age of seventy eight years. His wife passed away in 1908, at the age of seventy-six years. They were both reared in the Catholic faith and were loyal to its teachings. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Kellner were born five children: Anna Frances, who was born April 2, 1902; Joseph Wenzel, born August 31, 1908; Blanche Nettie, born May 5, 1911; and two children who died in infancy. Mr. Kellner is a member of the Bohemian State Aid Society and also of the Green Street Farmers Society. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he is one of the active and earnest workers in its ranks. For five years he served as chairman of Franklin township and for fourteen years he was justice of the peace in Franklin township, in which connection he rendered decisions that were strictly fair and impartial. In 1900 he was made census enumerator and on the 18th of August, 1907, he was appointed postmaster of Maribel, which position he fills to the present time. No one has done more for the town or labored more earnestly, consistently and effectively for its upbuilding and activities than Mr. Kellner. He not only readily sees but soon utilizes the opportunities around him; he neither loses time nor effort and his energy intelligently directed has brought to him substantial success as the years have gone by. MICHAEL KELLNER Michael Kellner was a German from Ceskych Budejovic, coming to Manitowoc co. around 1847. In the first years here he walked the 28 miles to Green Bay to work during the week and on Sundays and holidays spent his time at home clearing his land for crops. When the area began to be settled he built a saw mill, a tannery, a flour mill and a store. The other settlers made shingles and traded them to him for their necessities as money was a scarce commodity. KELLNER SALOON/HOTEL
Photo taken in the 1880s or 1890's in front of the Kellner Saloon and Hotel located on the northeast corner of Rapids Road and Menasha Avenue, an intersection known as Four Corners or Kellner's Corners. William J. Kellner, owner, stands in the back holding the tray of drinks. Standing behind the man seated at left is George Mittnacht, Sr. Others unidentified. Compliments of Gary Omernick
HENRY KEMPFER (From the Manitowoc Co. Chronicle, Tuesday, Nov. 17, 1885): Married:- At the home of the bride's parents, on Saturday, November 14, 1885, Justice O'Hara officiating, Mr. Henry Kempfer of Gibson and Miss Emma Blum of Mishicott. The bride is the eldest daughter of our esteemed townsman, Wm. Blum Esq. and is a young woman of excellent qualities of head and heart. The groom is a well-to-do young farmer of Gibson and seems to be in every way worthy of the fair one who has given him her heart and hand. That each returning year may bring them a fuller measure of happiness and prosperity than the one that went before, is the heartfelt wish of their numerous friends. From the Manitowoc County Chronicle December 1, 1906 Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kempfert of this city attended the funeral of Wm. Blum at Mishicot last Wednesday. Mrs. Kempfert is a daughter of the deceased. ERNST KERN From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 529 Ernst Kern, deceased, formerly engaged in general merchandise, at Manitowoc, was born Feb. 14, 1828, in Bavaria. In 1821 he emigrated to America, and located at Milwaukee, where he resided for two years. He then removed to Manitowoc, where, in company with Mr. Beer, he opened a general store. The partnership was continued until 1865, when Mr. Beer died. He then purchased his partner's interest, and continued the business alone until he died, May 21, 1876. Since his death Mrs. Kern has carried on the business, ably assisted by her son, Julius Kern. He married Miss Minnie Zinns, in 1861, who was a native of Alsace, France. They have two children, one son and one daughter. ANTON E. KERSCHER This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.641-642. Anton E. Kerscher, of the firm of Kerscher Brothers Company, dealers in hardware, has been connected with the commercial interests of Manitowoc since 1897. He was born in Manitowoc county, September 14, 1875, a son of Frank and Theresa Kerscher. The father came from Germany to Manitowoc about 1860 but shortly afterward removed to Kewaunee county, Wisconsin, where he fol1owed the blacksmith’s trade. Previously he had lived on a farm but had conducted a blacksmith shop at Five Corners, Manitowoc county. After leaving Kewaunee county he removed to Northheim, where he operated a farm and blacksmith shop. He also conducted a cheese factory but after an accident which caused him the loss of three fingers of his right hand he disposed of his business undertakings in Northheim. He returned to Kewaunee county, settling on a farm, where he remained for three years. Desiring to return to Manitowoc county, he disposed of his property in Kewaunee county and purchased a farm four and a half miles north of Manitowoc, where he resided and also conducted a cheese factory until he desired to retire from active interests. Accordingly, he transferred his property to his son-in-law, John Rhode. His death occurred in Manitowoc, on the 27th day of November, 1911, and he is buried in Calvary cemetery. In the country schools of Manitowoc Anton E. Kerscher acquired his education. At the age of sixteen years he laid aside his text-books and started to earn his own livelihood. He first assisted his father on the home farm but shortly afterward started in business independently, being the founder of the present concern, which he incorporated on the 1st of May, 1906, and of which he is president. The business has had a rapid and substantial growth and much of its expansion is due to the efforts of Mr. Kerscher. He has earned for himself an enviable reputation as a careful man of business and in his dealings is known for his prompt and honorable methods, which have won him the deserved and unbounded confidence of the large patronage he enjoys. On the 6th of October, 1897, at St Nazianz church, Manitowoc county, Mr. Kerscher was married to Miss Theresa Brunmier, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Brunmier, pioneer settlers of Manitowoc county. To Mr. and Mrs. Kerscher five children have been born, Aaron, Ferdinand, Sylvia, Anton and Mildred. The family reside at No. 812 York street. In politics Mr. Kerscher is a republican and in religious faith is a Roman Catholic, holding membership also in the Knights of Columbus. He has gained many stanch friends in both social and business life and his record is a creditable one inasmuch as his success is attributable to his own efforts. REV. THEODORE H. KERSTEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.530. The Catholic ministry in Manitowoc county is well represented by the Rev. Theodore H. Kersten, who on the 30th of November, 1911, came to his present charge, a parish in Meeme township. He was born in Chilton, Wisconsin, February 10, 1883, and is a son of Theodore Kersten, Sr., who was a native of Germany, whence he came to America in 1854. Removing westward to this state he settled in Calumet county. He had been reared to the occupation of farming, which he followed for a considerable period after coming to the new world. In this he prospered and eventually he established a banking business, which he carried on until a few years ago, when he retired with a capital sufficient to supply him with all of the necessities and many of the luxuries of life throughout his remaining days. He now makes his home at Ellis Junction, Wisconsin. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary Verkuilen, was of Holland descent and died in the year 1887. The Rev. Theodore H. Kersten pursued his education in the parochial school at Chilton and in St. Francis Seminary. Having prepared for the priesthood he was ordained in 1907 and his first assignment made him assistant priest at Green Bay to Father Hummel. There he remained until the 30th of November, 1911, when he came to his present location. He is earnest and zealous in his work and although yet a young man is making his influence felt in behalf of the cause with which he is allied. He has the confidence and good will of his people and throughout the community is held in high regard. G.W. KESSMANN (From the Manitowoc Co. Chronicle, Two Rivers, Oct. 1, 1878): MARRIED: Fleischer-Kessmann - In this city, Sept. 24th, 1878, at the residence of the bride's mother, by Judge H.S. Pierpont, Clara Fleischer and G.W. Kessmann, both of Two Rivers. The wedding, which occurred last Tuesday, was a very happy occasion. A large number of invited guests were present to witness the wedding ceremony and to partake in the festivities of the evening. After the ceremony and the supper, which was a sumptuous affair, the entire party adjourned to Turner Hall, where a band of musicians were awaiting them, and those who delight in Terpsichorean pastimes tripped "the light fantastic toe" to their heart's content. The bride was made the recipient of a number of elegant and costly gifts, which will serve, for years, to remind her of her wedding day. The young couple have a host of friends in this city and elsewhere who will unite with the Chronicle in wishing that their future may be full of happiness. M. KETTENHOFEN From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 529 Proprietor North-Western House, Manitowoc, born April 2, 1825, in Prussia; came to this country in 1854. Worked at the lumber business till 1859, then clerked in a store one year. He then opened a hotel in Neshota, which he continued three years. In 1863, he came to Manitowoc and took charge of the Williams House, where he remained three years, when it was destroyed by fire. In 1869 he bought these premises and erected this hotel, which he has since successfully conducted. When in his native country he served three years and four months in the Prussian army. NICK KETTENHOFEN From the Manitowoc Daily Tribune, August 9, 1909 HONOR THE DONOR Nick Kettenhofen, the donor of the handsomest monument to Chief Mexico, should receive the thanks of the community for his deed. There are few men in his position who would even as much as think of donating time and money for such a purpose. It is a lamentable fact that most of us, in the stife for possessions, have succeeded in stunting those noble faculties that respond to occasions like those of yesterday, and that so often controlled our actions during the days of our youth. It is a lamentable fact that the most successful in the race for power and wealth have but little of that feeling of real brotherhood of the races left in them. Often it is merely a desire to advertise or to achieve honor that is incentive to a deed like this. Those who know Mr. Kettenhofen well know that the incentive that drove him to construct the monument to Chief Mexico, came from the desire to be useful in cementing the present with all was good in the past. The Indian was the acknowledged owner of the land our forefathers possessed themselves of. Often the Indian was dispossessed with but scant consideration and but very little compensation. The white man proved himself the Indian's superior-in some thi??(not there) The monument to Chief Mexico ought to stand for the Indian's effort, not only to provide for himself but for a tribe. That is what the life of Chief Mexico means if it means anything. That is the point at which we fail, if we can be said to be failures. (NOTE: Mr. Kettenhofen also donated the work on the monument located at Jambo Creek mentioned in the article linked from Jambo in the town history section.) CHARLES KEUNE From The History of Northern Wisconsin, Vol II. Chicago: Western Historical Pub. Co., 1881, p. 540 Firm of A. Mill & Company, grist and planing mill, Hika. Born, Sept. 14, 1836, in Hanover. Came to Manitowoc County in 1860, removed to Centerville in 1867, and assisted in building this mill, which he has since been connected with. Married, in 1863, to Caroline Hecker, of Mechlenburg. They have eight children, five sons and three daughters. JOHN KIBLER'S BLACKSMITH SHOP
John Kibler's blacksmith shop (one of the last in Manitowoc). John is on the right and in the center is J.Y. Wirth This photo was taken in 1906, shop located at 820 Commercial Street. (other man unidentified) - Photo compliments of Gary Omernick
I am not sure exactly what year this is from - it's around 1930. Newspaper article about my great-grandfather, Charles Kiel. (Louise (Kiel) Franz's father)
CHARLES KIEL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.168. Charles Kiel, a well known and substantial citizen of Manitowoc Rapids, who has developed an excellent tract of farming land, was born April 21, 1861, in the town of Cato, Manitowoc county, a son of William and Sophia (Dickert) Kiel. William Kiel came to the United States from Germany in 1848, and at once located in Manitowoc county. He worked at Neshoto and in Manitowoc county in the sawmills until 1850, at which time he returned to his old home in Germany, and there was married, returning to Manitowoc county in 1851. He resumed work in Neshoto for two years, and then invested his savings in a tract of wild land in the town of Cato, on which he erected a log shanty in which the family resided until he was able to build a better home. His death occurred here in 1897, when he was seventy-two years of age, his wife having passed away in 1888. Four of their children are now living: William, Henry, Charles and Sophia. Charles Kiel received his education in the district schools of his neighborhood, and he worked on his father’s farm until he was married, at which time he secured a small farm from his father, located in Manitowoc Rapids, where he has since resided. He has added to his land, and replaced all of the old buildings with new ones, modern in every respect. His land is well supplied with water facilities, is drained, graded and well fenced, and the general air of prosperity speaks for good management and farming ability. At the age of thirty years Mr. Kiel was married to Amanda Rahn, who was born in Germany, and they have five children: Oscar, Arthur, Freda, Louisa and Arno. The family is connected with the Lutheran church at Branch. Mr. Kiel has been prominent in public affairs for some years, and during the last twelve years has served as school director. Daughter Louisa/Louise Kiel
Louise Kiel, daughter of Charles and Amanda (Rahn) Kiel
RICHARD KIEL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.220-223. Richard Kiel, whose financial experience fits him highly to hold with capability the position of cashier of the State Bank of Kiel, was born February 10, 1876. He is a son of Henry and Flora (Clausen) Kiel, natives of Germany, who came to the United States in 1861. Growing up in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, Richard Kiel gained his preliminary education in the public schools of that place, supplementing his learning with a course at business college. When only nineteen years old, he entered the National Bank of Manitowoc as bookkeeper, leaving after four years to enter upon a position in a similar capacity in a general store. A year later, The First National Bank of New London claimed his services and he remained with that institution for eighteen months. Leaving he entered the bank at Sturgeon Bay, and in June, 1900, came to Kiel as cashier of the State Bank of this town. He is also assistant treasurer of the city, and is vice president of the Koebring Machine Company of Milwaukee. The State Bank of Kiel, one of the sound financial institutions of Manitowoc county, was organized September 1, 1898, with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars, with Charles Heins as president; W.P. Wagner, of Green Bay, as vice president; and Charles A. Best as cashier. The present officials are: H.S. Eldred, president; W.P. Wagner, vice president; and Richard Kiel, cashier. The statement issued January 22, 1909 showed a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars; a surplus of twenty-five thousand, with deposits of three hundred and eighty-one thousand dollars, and loans of three hundred and seventy thousand dollars. The bank is substantially housed in a two-story, granite front building, thirty-five feet by fifty feet, built in 1898, and modern in every respect. The bank is on the lower floor, and offices are upstairs. The affairs of the bank are in the hands of Mr. Kiel, whose conservative principles and sound policies are well known throughout the territory in which this institution transacts business. In June, 1908, Richard Kiel was married to Miss Mabel Surplice, of Green Bay, Wisconsin, a daughter of Charles and Mary Surplice, the former of whom is a wholesale merchant. Fraternally, Mr. Kiel is an Odd Fellow and has served that order as noble grand; and he is also a Mason, belonging to Chilton blue lodge and the Sheboygan chapter.
ROBERT KIEL This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.276-277. Robert Kiel, farmer and stock-raiser, residing on section 31, Kossuth township, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, was born on his present farm, which is the old home place, November 29, 1868. He is a son of Henry and Flora (Clusen) Kiel, and a grandson of Christian Kiel, the latter of whom was born and married in Germany. With wife and two children, Henry and Lena, Christian Kiel came to America in 1848, and the family came to Wisconsin, where another son, Christian, was subsequently born. The grandfather, Christian Kiel, first found employment in a sawmill at Shoto, where he worked for a short time or until he had completed the transaction by which he came into possession of eighty acres of wild land. Here he built a log house and with an ox team cleared the whole tract and succeeded in putting it under cultivation, subsequently adding fifty acres to the original purchase and at a later date forty acres more. He was a hard-working, honest man. His death occurred in 1882, when sixty-nine years of age. Henry Kiel, who was born in Germany, October 24, 1842, succeeded his father and continued to carry on agricultural operations on the home place. On October 24, 1867, which was his twenty-fifth birthday, he was united in marriage to Flora Clusen, who was born in the fatherland August 19, 1844. Mrs. Kiel passed away on June 11, 1909, but the father is still living and makes his home with the subject of this sketch. To Mr. and Mrs. Henry Kiel were born four children: Robert; Emma, who is the wife of Herman Spoentgen, of Manitowoc; Hugo, who married Grace Maine. residing in Port Washington, Wisconsin; and Richard, who married Mabel Surplice and they live in Kiel, Wisconsin. Robert Kiel has always lived on the homestead farm. He obtained a common-school education and since then has devoted his time and attention to the cultivation and further improvement of the place, of which he has been the active manager since 1910. He has modern ideas in regard to farming and stock-raising and keeps high-grade cattle and stock. Mr. Kiel is one of the prosperous men of his section, wide awake to the best interests of his community, family and self, and a stockholder in the Manitowoc and Northern Telephone Company. He was married December 24, 1910, to Miss Adelia Schuette, a native of Kossuth township and a daughter of Otto Schuette. KIEL FAMILY REUNION August 16, 1931
ERNST KIESELHORST This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.436-437. Ernst Kieselhorst is the owner of a well improved farm, situated in Newton township. He was born near Liberty in this county, October 17, 1851, a son of Ludwig and Katherine (Pleuss) Kieselhorst, both of whom were natives of Germany, the father born in 1829. The parents came to America in 1848, settling in Manitowoc county, near Liberty, where they purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, all of which was wild and heavily covered with hard timber, including beech, hardwood maple, elm and other hardwood trees. Here they erected a large cabin and resided for several years. They were widely known for their hospitality and their home became the stopping place for other German families who had just arrived in this county, until they could erect their own cabins. It was in this house that the subject of this sketch and one sister, Lena, were born. A few years later Ludwig Kieselhorst erected a second and larger log house, which stands today although it is covered with weather-boarding. In 1868 he purchased another farm in Newton township, on which he resided until 1898, when he retired from farming. He is yet living and is in very good health, his mind being active and bright. His wife passed away in 1908, at the age of eighty-two. In their family were ten children, nine of whom are yet living. Ernst Kieselhorst received his education in the district schools and remained working on his father’s farm until he was eighteen years of age, when he went to the city of Manitowoc. He there clerked in Schuette’s store for about a year and a half, being a companion clerk with Judge Emil Baensch, and later he went into the Kramer store, where he remained only a month. Subsequently he returned to his home and worked in a mill and on the farm for his father. In 1881 he purchased the Pleuss homestead in Newton township, where he now resides. In 1858 Mr. Pleuss had erected the house which now stands and with the additions and improvements which Mr. Kieselhorst has put on it, it is a finer home then many of the more modern houses today. Mr. Kieselhorst has built new barns and has highly improved the land, and has added to the acreage of his farm. He engages very extensively in farming and dairying and is one of the well known agriculturists and dairymen of the county. He is active in other business relations and for three years was president of the Silver Lake Telephone Company. On December 3, 1877, Mr. Kieselhorst wedded Miss Elizabeth Pleuss, a daughter of Frederick and Mary Pleuss, who came from Germany and located on the farm on which Mr. and Mrs. Kieselhorst now reside, where they were among the first settlers in the county. Frederick Pleuss was born in 1817, in Beikelen, near Harpstedt, Hanover, Germany. On March 27, 1856, he married Miss Maria Leverenz, who was his second wife. She was born January 20, 1826, in Lammin, near Tessin, Mecklenburg, Germany. He died August 7, 1877, and his wife passed away on the 15th of March, 1906. In their family were six children, one of whom died at the age of three years. Mr. and Mrs. Kieselhorst have become the parents of six children: Herbert, who died in infancy; and Frederick, Ferdinand, Rosa, Lena and Hertha. Mr. Kieselhorst is greatly interested in all that pertains to educational advancement and for eighteen years has served as clerk of the school board. He was for some time supervisor of the township but aside from this he has held no public office, nor has he desired political preferment, wishing rather to give his undivided attention to his farming interests, which have developed under his wise guidance, and his indefatigable energy, until today he is one of the substantial men of his community. Both he and his wife are members of the German Lutheran church at Newton and are held in the highest regard by all of their acquaintances. WALTER N. KILLEN This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.575-576. Walter N. Killen, one of the prominent citizens of Cato, Wisconsin, who is engaged in the lumber, mercantile, hay and grain business and in the manufacture of cheese boxes, was born in Gibson, Manitowoc county, Wisconsin, a son of John and Alice (Markham) Killen, natives of Scotland and New York state respectively. They were married in Manitowoc county and soon thereafter settled in the town of Gibson, where Mr. Killen engaged in farming and lumbering until 1868, at which time he sold his property and came to Cato to establish the business which is now conducted by his son. He continued to live here until his death, which occurred January 21, 1894, while on a trip to Jacksonville, Florida, for his health. He is buried in the Oak Grove cemetery at Cato, where are also interred the remains of his wife, who died July 15, 1882, aged fifty—two years. Mr. Killen enlisted in the Civil war and saw hard and faithful service and the injuries which he received during those strenuous years incapacitated him to some extent throughout his life, and, no doubt, hastened his death. He was a popular comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic at Manitowoc, which organization had charge of his funeral. In politics a stanch democrat, he took an active interest in public matters but never aspired to office. Walter N. Killen is the youngest of three children born to his father’s first marriage, the eldest being William II., who is married and living in Appleton and has one daughter, while the second, Delia, married Charles F. Davis, of Brillion, Calumet county. By a second marriage John Killen had two children: Mae L., who is unmarried; and Sherman J., who is married and lives in Cato, being interested in the mercantile business with his brother Walter N. Walter N. Killen was engaged in the business with his father until the latter’s death, when he became the owner by purchase from the other heirs. A republican in politics, Mr. Killen has served at Cato as postmaster since September 21, 1891, his father having held that office before him during President Cleveland’s administration, while prior to that, in 1882, Mr. Killen’s brother was postmaster here during the administration of President Arthur. SISTER VICTOR KIMMES, C.S.A. From the Herald Times Reporter, Tuesday, July 15, 2003 Sister Victor Kimmes, C.S.A. Sister Victor Kimmes, C.S.A., age 100, a resident of the St. Francis Home, Fond du Lac, passed away July 14, 2003 at the home. She was born Jan. 11, 1903 in Two Rivers, a daughter of the late Joseph and Elizabeth Harris Kimmes. Sister Victor professed vows in the Congregation of St. Agnes on July 1, 1925. She ministered as a teacher for 58 years in Kansas, Michigan, New York, Wisconsin and Indiana. Sister Victor is survived by nieces, nephews and by members of the Congregations of St. Agnes with whom she ministered. She was preceded in death by three sisters: Clarann Kimmes, Jeanette Hallett and Mildred Misky; and by one brother: Norbert Kimmes. A Liturgy of Christian Burial will be held on Saturday, July 19, 2003, at 8:30 a.m. at the St. Francis Home Chapel, 33 Everett St., Fond du Lac, the Rev. Edward F. Sippel will officiate. Burial will be in the St. Joseph's Springs Cemetery, Fond du Lac. Visitation will be held on Friday from 1 until 5:30 p.m. at Nazareth Court, 375 Gillett St., Fond du Lac, where a prayer service will be held at 4 p.m. Zacherl Funeral Home, is serving the Congregation of St. Agnes. CLIFFORD KING This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.556-559. Clifford King is a retired farmer of Cooperstown. The success of his earlier years is manifest in the fact that he is now enabled to put aside business cares and enjoy the fruits of his former toil, with leisure for those activities which are of most interest to him. He has an excellent record as a soldier of the Civil war and an equally excellent one as a trustworthy and progressive business man. He was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin, May 1, 1842, a son of Clifford King, who was a native of St. Charles, Canada, whence he removed to Green Bay in early manhood. In 1846 he arrived at Cooperstown, being one of the first settlers of this part of the county. Something of the unimproved and undeveloped condition of the district is indicated in the fact that he was able to enter land from the government. Not a furrow had been turned or an improvement made upon the place but with characteristic energy he began to clear and cultivate the fields, continuing actively in farming to the time of his death, which occurred July 15, 1861, when he was forty-eight years of age. He married Lucy Goodchild, a native of New York, and unto them were born seven children, six of whom are living: Joseph, who is a resident of Milwaukee; Adaline, the wife of Edward Peterson; George, living in Casco, Wisconsin; Clifford, of this review; and Henry and Charles, both of whom reside with our subject. Clifford King, reared on the old homestead, pursued his education in the district schools, alternating the periods of study with work in the fields through the summer months. He continued to assist his father on the old home place and after the father’s death took charge of the farm. He was engaged in stock-raising and dairying until the 21st of August, 1862, when, no longer able to content himself at the plow, he offered his services to the government, enlisting as a member of Company D, Twenty-seventh Wisconsin Infantry, at Manitowoc. The company was commanded by Captain Rankin and served under General Sheridan. Mr. King was at the front for three years and participated in many important battles which led up to the final victory that crowned the Union arms. He was mustered out August 1, 1865, at Clarenceville, Texas, near the Mexican border, and returned home with a most creditable record. He then resumed farming and dairying and year after year his business was successfully managed with the result that in time he became the possessor of a handsome competence that now enables him to live retired. In 1868 Mr. King was married to Miss Helen Aldrich, who was born in Walworth county, Wisconsin, January 12, 1844, and is a daughter of Valentine and Susan (Bedelle) Aldrich. The father was a native of the Empire state and in 1844 removed from Illinois to Wisconsin. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. King were Jonathan and Emelia Aldrich, representatives of one of the old New York families. Valentine Aldrich followed farming throughout his entire life and was one of the worthy and respected agriculturists of his community. Mr. and Mrs. King hold membership in the Catholic church. He has never taken an active interest in politics yet has always sought the welfare and upbuilding of the community and rejoices in what has been accomplished here. For seventy years he has traveled life’s journey and from the age of four years has resided in Manitowoc county, so that he has witnessed the greater part of its development and upbuilding. He has seen its wild lands converted into productive farms, its tiny villages transformed into thriving towns and cities, has seen the building of churches and schools and the work of civilization carried steadily forward here. That he has been a loyal citizen is manifest in his service as a soldier of the Union army and today he is numbered with those veterans of the Civil war to whom the country owes a debt of gratitude that can never be repaid.
Between another researcher and myself, we have tracked every name on the 'List of Families' back to their original Kiel ancestor - except one - Herman Arnemann and family.
Mr. and Mrs. Clifford King
JOHN KINNEY County death record Volume# 6, Page# 319 Name: John Kinney Color/Sex: white/male Born: 1818, Ireland Spouse: Margaret Kinney Died: 17 Dec 1900 Age: 82 years old/cause: old age Father: Thomas Kinney, born Ireland Mother: Margaret Kinney, born Ireland Place of death: Franklin Manitowoc County Name of Physician: none listed Residence of Physician: none listed Name of informant: none listed Place of Burial: Maple Grove, Manitowoc Date of Burial:Dec 19, 1900 Date of registration: Dec 19, 1900 Registar: none listed MARGARET KINNEY County Death record volume #7, page #214 Name: Margaret Kinney (nee Mack) Color/Sex: white/Female Born: 1818, Ireland Death Date: March 5, 1903, age 80 yrs. old/cause: old age Father: Thos Mack, born Ireland Mother: Margaret Mack, born Ireland Place of death: Franklin Manitowoc County Name of Physician: none listed Residence of Physician: none listed Name of informant: none listed Place of Burial: none listed Date of Burial: March 7,1903 Date of registration: March 7,1903 WILLIAM J. KIRBY This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.554-555. One of the prominent agriculturists and public-spirited citizens of Franklin township, owning and operating a valuable farm of one hundred and sixty acres located on sections 31 and 32, is William J. Kirby, who was born in Franklin township, Manitowoc county, July 26, 1855, a son of James and Margaret (Dunlehy) Kirby. Mr. Kirby’s parents were born in Ireland and were married there, shortly after which, about 1849, they came to this country, and settled first in Massachusetts. After about two years, James Kirby decided that he could find a better field for his operations in Wisconsin, and subsequently brought his family to an eighty acre farm of wild woodland, which he developed for five years and then sold, purchasing the farm of which his son William J. is now the owner. He first erected a log house, and about one year later erected a frame residence, and in connection with cultivating his land worked intermittently at the carpenter trade among his neighbors, making the coffins for the dead of his vicinity for many years. His death occurred in February, 1908, in his ninetieth year, his wife having passed away in 1900, when she was sixty-eight years of age, and both were buried in St. Patrick’s cemetery at Maple Grove. In politics Mr. Kirby was a democrat, and he always took an active interest in public affairs, serving as treasurer of Franklin township for upwards of fifteen years, as a trustee of the poor farm and as a member of the school board for many years. William J. Kirby was the sixth of a family of eleven children, and he remained at home until his marriage, October 31, 1886, to Miss Elizabeth O’Connor, who was born June 5, 1863, the only child of James and Nora (Guinane) O’Connor, natives of Ireland. Mrs. Kirby’s parents were married in Pennsylvania and remained there about two years, when Mr. O’Connor died in 1868. In 1873 Mrs. O’Connor came to Wisconsin with her daughter, and she now lives with Mr. and Mrs. Kirby and is sixty-two years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Kirby have had eleven children, the nine living members of the family being: Margaret, who married Bernett Fetzer and lives in Franklin township; and James, Elizabeth, Mary, William, John, Catherine, Veronica and Norbert, living at home. Mr. Kirby has one hundred and fifty acres under a high state of cultivation, all fenced with barbed wire, ahd he carries on general farming and stock-raising, marketing dairy products, hogs, cattle, hay and grain. He milks twenty-five Holstein and Durham cows, and raises Poland China and Chester White hogs and breeds to Percheron horses. He has a frame barn, forty by one hundred and six feet, with a stable attached, built in 1906; a horse barn, twenty-four by sixty feet, built about 1874 and remodeled in 1911; and a residence of twelve rooms, two stories in height, erected in 1902. His water supply is secured from drilled wells. Mr. and Mrs. Kirby are members of St. Patrick’s Catholic church, and he is connected with the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin. In politics a democrat, he takes an active interest in public matters, and has served as school director for twelve years and as road superintendent for six years. JOHN J. KIRCH John J. Kirch, junior member of the firm of W. N. Killen & Company, manufacturers of cheese boxes in the village of Cato, is a native of the town of Cato, Manitowoc county, and was born August 23, 1871, and is a son of John A. and Barbara (Etzler) Kirch, natives of Austria. Mr. Kirch’s parents were married in Wisconsin, and shortly thereafter located in the town of Cato, taking up forty acres of wild land, on which Mr. Kirch erected a small home. Here the parents are now living, having developed an excellent farm, the father being sixty—five years old and the mother sixty—three. The eldest of a family of ten children, John J. Kirch received his education in the district schools, and until he was seventeen years of age was engaged in working on the home farm. At that time he began working for wages on the farms in the locality, and in 1895 he became connected with the mercantile business of Mr. Killen, whose partner he is in the manufacture of cheese boxes, under the firm name of W. N. Killen & Company. Mr. Kirch is an excellent business man, and devotes his entire time to his interests, but has still found time to act in positions of trust. During the past twelve years he has served as a notary public, and for one term he has been a member of the school board. In 1898 Mr. Kirch was married to Miss Anna Burich, who was born September 27, 1876, the third of the eight children born to Albert and Anna (Satoria) Burich, natives of Bohemia. The parents were married in Wisconsin, and settled down on a farm of eighty acres in the town of Rockland, and they are now living retired in the village of Reedsville, Mr. Bunch being sixty-two and his wife fifty-seven years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Kirch have two children: Edward J. and Christina, both of whom are attending school. His political views Mr. Kirch accords the democratic party. He and Mrs. Kirch belong to St. Mary’s Catholic church of Reedsville, and Mr. Kirch holds membership in the Catholic Order of Forresters. GUS C. KIRST This is a bio. sketch from "History of Manitowoc County Wisconsin" by Dr. L. Falge, 1911-1912, v.2, p.648-651. Gus C. Kirst, who is president of the Wisconsin Textile Manufacturing Company, at Two Rivers, is one of the leading business men of this city. He was born here September 4, 1874, a son of Carl and Sophia (Bushman) Kirst, the former a native of Weimar, Thuringia, and the latter of Hanover, Prussia. The parents were married in this city in 1867, having come to America in early life. They have ever made their home here, the father being engaged in brick mason work and also in the contracting business. He was assisted in the erection of many of the important buildings here, the South Side public school of Two Rivers and the public school in Algona representing his work. He is now living retired in this city, one of the oldest settlers here. In politics he is a democrat, taking an active part in all local party matters, and he has served for three terms as assessor. In his family were five children, two only of whom now survive, namely: Charles F., who is engaged in the drug business in this city and is president and general manager of the Two Rivers Telephone Company; and Gus C., the subject of this sketch. Gus C. Kirst received a public school education, and then started out in life on his own account by entering the employ of the Two Rivers Manufacturing Company. He remained with that firm about two years and was then employed for the same length of time by the Wooden Ware Company, which was operated by the same firm. Since that time he has been employed by the American Express Company, and is now president of the Wisconsin Textile Manufacturing Company and secretary and treasurer of the Two Rivers Telephone Company. In his political views Mr. Kirst is a democrat and he was a member of the democratic state central committee during the years 1909-1910. He has ever been greatly interested in educational work and has been a member of the school board for ten years. Fraternally he is a member of the Two Rivers Lodge, No. 200, F. & A. M., also holding membership in the Manitowoc chapter, and is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a successful and enterprising business man as is indicated by the prominent positions he has held, and he has ever had the high regard of all with whom he has been associated.
Gus Kirst - Arthur Lohman
No date on picture/from the Wendorff collection, Two Rivers Library