People of Shoto Fred Jachimstal and Anna (Pech) Jachimstal were married in 1894. Fred was 23 and Anna was 21. They lived on a farm in the Town of Kossuth for 10 years, and in 1904 they moved into the Shoto Hotel, retiring from there in 1923. They then moved to Manitowoc. They had two daughters, Amelia (Victor) Jansky and Rose (John)Bayless. They also had a son named Edward. Fred Jachimstal had three sisters; Mrs. Joseph(Anna) Hrudka, Mrs. Blanche Strouf and Mrs. Amelia Stastny. Amelia was born April 21,1875 and died May 26,1923. She was 48 years old. On her tombstone it is listed "Wife" but there is no husbands name. I can only presume that he remarried and is buried somewhere with his other wife .( There is a Frank Stastny and on the same stone is a Mary. It is possible that Frank was Amelia's husband?) The Manitowoc County Court House does not have Amelia's death record, therefore I was told she did not die in our county. Anna Had two sisters, Mrs. Duelham and Mrs. George Petrick and one brother, Edward Pech. At the time of Fred's death on March 16, 1947, the obit lists only two sisters survive, plus his children. Mrs. Anna Jachimstal (Fred's wife) died on March 11,1947, one week before Fred, of a heart attack. Both funeral services were held at Urbanek and Schlie, burial is in the Evergreen Cemetery. It also listed in the obit that in 1947 they had 11 grandchildren. The Origins of the Jachimstal Name and Dollar The American Dollar owes it's name to the counts of Schlick. The counts mined silver at Joachimstal, Bohemia. In 1518, their coins became known as "joachimstaler", and later just "taler". From this latter came the Dutch daler and the United States dollar. First silver coins were made in Europe in 1500 at Joachimsthal (Joachim's Valley) in Bohemia. It is interesting to note how the word "dollar" came to use. It is of German Origin. In the 16th century, a mint located in Joachimsthal, Bohemia, minted pieces of silver of one ounce of weight which from the name of the town were first called Joachimsthaler, and afterwards for shortness "taler". Writers and speakers of the English language soon changed the word into dollar. The word dollar itself is a modified use of the German Thaler which is a shortened version of a "Joachimst(h)aler". This was a 16th century silver coin intended to be the equivalent of the gulden, a gold coin. The first such coins were struck in 1519 under the direction of the Count of Schlick, who had appropiated a rich silver mine in St. Joachimsthal, Bohemia. The coin bore the image of St. Joachim and was in use from that time on, so the name "thaler" stuck. In the mountains of northwestern Bohemia is a small town known in the early 16th century by its German name Sankt Joachimsthal. When a silver mine was opened nearby to mint coins, the coins were known as joachimsthaler, later shortened in German to taler, then known in the Dutch form of "daler", then borrowed into English and into Spanish as "dollar". It was Thomas Jefferson who proposed that the dollar be the money unit of the United States, and so the Continental Congress resolved on July 6, 1785.
*Sand,Oscar - Born: March 21,1892 in the Town of Two Rivers on the family farm that they acquired in 1858. Son of Friedrich and Marie Borkholz Sand, immigrants from Germany. Baptized: Nov.23,1892 at St.Johns Luthern Church, Two Rivers, WI Attended Rangeline School from 1898 to 1906. He then attended Manitowoc Business College for accounting. Served in World War I, received many metals during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive from Sept.26 to Nov.12,1918. Almost his whole company was wiped out during that battle, and the few that remained advanced the hill and defeated the German gunners. His most valued metal is The Silver Metal. After returning from the war, he became our Town Clerk during the 1920's and 1930's. Mr. Sand never married, and lived his whole life on the family farm with Mr.and Mrs.Ervin Sand. He worked for a time at Hamilton Industries and he also farmed. Mr. Sand died on August 2nd, 1985, and is buried in the Forest View Cemetery, Two Rivers, WI. Below is copy of the citation he was awarded. Headquarters, 26th Infantry ?enterseansen, Germany 26th,May,1919 Official Order No.87 The following named officers and enlisted men of the regiment are entitled to the Victory Medal and Battle Clasps for the Victory Medal as authorized by General orders No. 75,(illegible); C.S., as indicated. The operations in which the First Division participated, for which Battle Clasps are authorized, are as followed: a. Mandidier - Boyen Defensive, between June 9 and June15,1918 b. Aisne-?arne Offensive, between July (illegible) and August 6,1918 c. St. Mihiel Offensive, between September 11 and September 26,1918 d. Meuse-Argonne Offensive, between September 26 and November 12,1918 The letters (a)-(b)-(c)-(d), which appear after the names, denotes the major operations in which individual participated. EXTRACT Company A, 26th INFANTRY Sand, Oscar, 2035519 :Pvt. : (d) SEAL by order of Colonel Brown R.K. Dorn, Captain, 26th Infantry Acting Adjatant. Family Farms These farms have been in their families for generations. HORSTMAN, Herman, Delmar Sec. 3 MEISSNER, Wilmer, Richard/ Sec.29/ MUELLER, Paul /Sec. 2 / RAATZ, John L. & Mary Jane /Sec. 23,24 / RAUSCH, Herbert,Lester,Jeffery/Sec.33,34/ SHAMBEAU, Allan & Audrey / Sec.14,23,24 / STECHMESSER, Alfred / Sec.2 / VOGL, Walter/Sec.6/ History of Wilfert Farm WILFERT FARMS/Sec.20/ Neshoto Lumber Co. owned the land that the Wilfert Farm now is established on. Casper and Margaretha Finklemun bought 120 acres from the lumber company and built a log cabin facing Eastshore Road. In 1877, Joseph Wilfert married the daughter, Dorthea, and the couple gave a bond of maintenance to the parents of Dorthea for their support until their death. Joseph Wilfert and his wife Dorthea were the parents of four children, John, Joseph Jr., Bertha and Mary. Dorthea died and Joseph was a widower with four children. Joseph then married Frances Silbersack and they had two sons, Martin and George. After Joseph died, John took over the family farm. When John died, the estate farm was sold to Robert and Shirley Wilfert. Robert is the son of Martin Wilfert. In 1977, Robert and Shirley were invited to the Wisconsin State Fair for the celebration of the farm being in the family for 100 years. Robert and Shirley sold the farm to William and Marilyn Wilfert in 1979, and they still reside there with their two sons. Dave and Terri now own the farm that was Martin and Theresa Wilfert. They sell quality farm grown vegetables that are well known throughout our community. Dave and Terri have a son and a daughter.