SOCIETY OF THE DIVINE SAVIOR OBITUARIES

Eaton Township, Manitowoc Co., Wisconsin

The following information about the Fathers from the Second Edition of the Society of the Divine Savior, "On Whose Shoulders We Stand", published 2005. Salvatorian Archives, 2506 N. Wauwatosa Ave., Wauwatosa, WI 53213-1135

Collection compiled by Michael R. Hoffman SDS

Submitted by Bob Domagalski, contact information on contributors page.

FATHER JULIUS SCHAEFER SDS Born April 12, 1887 - Died January 3, 1960 Father Julius Schaefer (birth name: Max) was born in 1887 in Graudenz, Germany, into a family of thirteen children. Before joining the Society in 1919 at the age of 31, he had graduated from business college and was employed as an accountant in the Bank of Berlin. He entered the Novitiate in Sennelager in 1921, and he made his profession of vows on November 1, 1922. He completed his studies for the priesthood in Passau, and was ordained there on June 29, 1926. He worked in the offices of the Catholic Charities in the Diocese of Berlin. Later he taught in Wealdstone, England, and was novice master in Abbots-Langley. He returned to Passau for a year, and then he came to the United States, ministering in the mission parish in Shaw, Oregon. Then, after taking graduate courses at Marquette University in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he taught in Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz; he ministered in the Salvatorian Mission House in Elkton, Maryland; and while living in Jordan Seminary in Menominee, Michigan, he assisted in parishes in the area. Fr. Julius retired to the Mission House in Elkton, but for the last eight months of his life, he lived with the community in Mother of the Savior Seminary, in Blackwood, New Jersey. He died in Lourdes Hospital in Camden, on January 3, 1960. He was buried in the Salvatorian cemetery at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland. Later when the seminary there closed, his body was transferred to the community cemetery in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin. Fr. Julius is remembered as a tough and somewhat stern man who spoke his mind freely and openly. His deep love for his homeland and concern for the welfare of his native people was sometimes misunderstood by parishioners, especially during the World War II years. Photo Photo


BROTHER ANTHONY SCHERBACK SDS Born March 30, 1888 - Died November 2, 1981 Brother Anthony Scherback (birth name: Joseph) was born in Siroke, Czechoslovakia, in 1888. His family came to live in the United States when he was 11, and they made their home in South Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. As a youth, he desired to study for the priesthood, but his family could not afford the seminary education. He worked in the steel mills during the day and took classes in the evening to learn English. In 1923, he read about the Society in the Salvatorian publication “Manna,” and he desired to know more about the life of the Brother. He joined the community in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin, and after Novitiate, he made his profession of vows on December 8, 1925. Bro. Anthony worked in the Publishing Department as supervisor for the packing and shipping section. He was also janitor of the building. He served in these tasks faithfully for seventeen years. After spending a few months at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, he returned to St. Nazianz where he worked outdoors. A remarkably strong man, he cared for the lawns and flower gardens of the property for over thirty years. He was deeply devoted to the Blessed Mother and prayed often for the deceased. After a lingering illness, he died in Holy Family Healthcare Center in Manitowoc, on November 2, 1981, and was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Bro. Anthony was strong-willed and tough. Though an industrial accident in early life had broken his jaw and made his speech sometimes difficult to understand, he faithfully contributed to the life of the community for many, many years. Photo Photo


FATHER TERENCE SCHMIDT SDS Born September 6, 1922 - Died December 12, 1960 Father Terence Schmidt (birth name: Leo Anthony) was born in 1922 in Campbellsport, Wisconsin, just outside Fond du Lac. After his first few years of elementary school, his family moved to Milwaukee, to Mother of Good Counsel Parish and school, where he became acquainted with the Society. He attended Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz for high school and the first two years of college, after which he entered the Novitiate there in 1942, and he made his profession of vows on September 8, 1943. He continued his studies for the priesthood at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, and was ordained on June 7, 1949, in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC. Fr. Terence continued with post-graduate courses in theology at Catholic University in Washington, and then served in St. Pius X Parish in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin; and in St. Gregory’s Parish in St. Nazianz. He then taught dogmatic theology at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland. Plagued with frail health for much of his life, Fr. Terence did his best to maintain a busy and active schedule. Hospitalized several times during the last year of his life, his health grew even weaker until his untimely death on December 12, 1960, at the age of 38, in the Salvatorian Sisters’ hospital in Columbus, Wisconsin. He is remembered as a prayerful, intelligent, and generous priest who endeavored to give his best to his ministries. His funeral was in St. Ambrose Chapel in the monastery in St. Nazianz, and he was buried in the community cemetery there. He was the brother of another member of the Salvatorian community, Sister Mary Jo Schmidt. ********** The Rev. Terrence Leo Schmidt, S.D.S., 38, of Divine Savior Seminary, Lanham, Md. formerly of St. Nazianz, died Monday morning at St. Mary Hospital, Columbus, Columbia County, where he had been a patient 10 days. Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday at the Salvatorian Seminary, St. Nazianz, where a requiem Mass will be said in his honor. Burial will be in the monastery cemetery. Father Schmidt was born in 1922 at Milwaukee, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Schmidt of Milwaukee. He was ordained in 1949 at Washington, D.C. and did post-graduate work in theology at Catholic University there until his transfer to St. Pius Church, Milwaukee, where he was an assistant pastor from 1953 to 1955. From there he was transferred to St. Gregory parish at St. Nazianz where he was assistant pastor for two years. He was then appointed to teach sacred theology at Divine Savior Seminary at Lanham. He had been hospitalized for several months last summer and had returned to the hospital about 10 days ago. (Survivors omitted for privacy.) Friends may call at the monastery after 3 p.m. Wednesday where the Rosary will be recited at 7 p.m. Manitowoc Herald Times, Manitowoc, Wisconsin December 13, 1960 P. 7 Photo Photo


FATHER LEANDER SCHNEIDER SDS Born January 30, 1912 - Died March 7, 1980 Father Leander Schneider (birth name: Linus Thomas) was born in 1912 in Marytown, Wisconsin, a small farming community northeast of Fond du Lac. He studied at Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz and entered the Novitiate there in 1931. He made his profession of vows on September 8, 1932. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Catholic University in Washington, DC, and was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 7, 1938. Fr. Leander ministered as associate pastor of Mother of Good Counsel Parish in Milwaukee, Wisconsin; in the mission parishes in Scio, Oregon; and in local parishes around Menominee, Michigan. In 1946, he became pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Scio, Oregon, where he remained until 1952. He then became the first pastor of St. Pius X Parish in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. He was also Superior of the local community. Though heart problems forced him to relinquish the pastorate in 1968, he remained in the parish until 1971. He then moved to New Holstein and assisted in neighboring parishes and nursing homes. He died peacefully on March 7, 1980. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Fr. Leander is remembered as a gentle pastor and leader, whose own goodness was a source of inspiration to those in his care. ******** Father Leander L. Schneider, S.D.S., 68, of Salvatorian Center, New Holstein, died Friday evening, March 7, at Calumet Memorial Hosptial, Chilton. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Monday at Ambrose Church, St. Naziznz. The Rev. Joseph Derks, S.D.S. will officiate and burial will be in community cemetery. Father Schneider was born Jan. 30, 1912, at Marytown, Wis., son of the late Joseph and Mary Wicklein Schneider. He attended Catholic University at Washington D.C. and was ordained June 7, 1938. Father Scheider served as a pastor in Oregon and Michigan and he was the first pastor of St. Pius X at Wauwatosa for 16 years until his retirement in 1968. Survivors include five brothers, Pius Schneider of Route 2, Chilton, Lawrence Schneider of Fredonia, Joseph Schneider of Johnsburg, Edward Schneider of Milwaukee and Cletus Schneider of Johnsburg; four sisters, Mrs. Robert (Dephine) Wagner of Route 1, Malone, Mrs. Robert (Marie) Lambert of Fond du Lac, Mrs. Agnes Mitchell of Milwaukee and Mrs. Lyle (Monica) Fuhrmann of Marytown, nieces and nephews. Friends may call at St. Amrose Chruch after 4 o'clock this Sunday afternoon. Christianson-Deja Funeral Home, St. Nazianz is in charge of arrangements. Herald Times Reporter, March 9, 1980 P.3 Photo Photo


FATHER JEROME LAMBERT SCHOMMER SDS Born April 20, 1927 - Died November 13, 1994 Father Jerome Lambert Schommer was born on April 20, 1927, in Colby, Wisconsin, near Marshfield. After his freshman year, he transferred to Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz for the remainder of high school and the first two years of college. In 1947, he entered the Novitiate in Menominee, Michigan, where he made his profession of vows on September 8, 1948. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Catholic University in Washington, DC, and was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 5, 1954. Fr. Jerome taught in St. Mary’s High School in Lancaster, New York; and in Mother of the Savior Seminary in Blackwood, New Jersey, where he also served as librarian. Later, he was rector of scholastics, teacher, and librarian at Mount St. Paul College in Waukesha, Wisconsin. In 1964, he answered the call to missionary service in Tanzania, East Africa, but health issues related to his exposure to malaria forced a return to the United States in less than a year. He taught for a semester at Marian High School in Mishawaka, Indiana, and then became teacher and librarian at Salvatorian Seminary, and later JFK Prep, in St. Nazianz. He served six years as the community’s Superior, and three years as the school’s assistant principal. In 1977, he began doing historical research for the Society, alternating between St. Nazianz and Rome, Italy. For a time, he served on the staff of the Generalate. Beginning in 1982, he was administrator of St. Mary’s Parish in Golva, North Dakota, and its mission parishes, until his sudden death on November 13, 1994, just as he was about to celebrate Mass. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin. Fr. Jerome’s great love for history and research was invaluable to the Society, and he served as a bridge between the stories from the past and the realities of the present through his skills in translating and writing. His contributions to the histories of the Province and the Society serve as lasting legacies to his years of service. He is remembered as a dedicated and gifted man, who loved relaxing in his “western wear” and could somehow make wearing a Roman collar and cowboy boots at the same time look quite respectable. Fr. Jerome was warm-hearted and humorous, with a laugh that was infectious. He had returned to his baptismal name, but for many years he was known in religious life as “Lambert,” which also happened to be his middle name. Photo Photo


FATHER PAUL JOHN SCHULZE SDS Born September 23, 1931 - Died October 29, 2002 Father Paul John Schulze was born on September 23, 1931, in Ellington, Wisconsin, a small township outside of Appleton. He attended Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz for high school and the first two years of college, after which he entered the Novitiate in Menominee, Michigan. He made his profession of vows on September 8, 1952. He continued his studies for the priesthood at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, and Catholic University in Washington, DC, and was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 7, 1958. Fr. Paul taught at Mackin High School in Washington, DC; at Jordan Seminary in Menominee, Michigan; at Mount St. Paul College in Waukesha, Wisconsin; and for twenty years at Marian Catholic High School in Mishawaka, Indiana. He also served there as local Superior for a time. Following a year’s sabbatical at the Leuven in Belgium, he taught at Lourdes High School in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and ministered at the same time as associate pastor in St. Peter’s Parish in that city. Later, he joined the Chilton Interparish Ministry. In 1995, he became chaplain in St. Paul’s Nursing Home in Kaukauna, where his mother was a resident. After her death in 1999, Fr. Paul retired, but remained in Kaukauna for another two years. In 2001, he moved to the Jordan Hall community in Milwaukee, where he died on October 29, 2002, after a period of failing health. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. A brilliant science teacher who treated his students with respect and fairness, he is remembered for his dedication to his ministries and his skillful teaching methods. Fr. Paul was always ready with a smile and a warm greeting to all who encountered him. Though he had returned to his baptismal name, for many years in religious life he was known by the name “Floyd.” Photo Photo


FATHER GEORGE SCHUSTER SDS Born October 16, 1925 - Died November 27, 1992 Father George Schuster (birth name: Lawrence Joseph) was born in 1925 in Chilton, Wisconsin. His family moved to Bakerville, near Marshfield, when he was young. He attended Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz for high school and the first two years of college. He entered the Novitiate there in 1945, and he made his profession of vows on February 24, 1946. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, and Catholic University in Washington, DC. He was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 9, 1952. Fr. George taught at Mother of the Savior Seminary in Blackwood, New Jersey; took further studies at Catholic University in Washington, DC; taught and was in the administration of St. Pius X Seminary in Rio Dell and later Galt, California. For three years, he served as Assistant Superintendent of Catholic Schools for the Diocese of Sacramento. Later, he was pastor of Holy Cross Parish in nearby Bryte (West Sacramento); and in 1985, he became the editor of the Catholic Herald, the newspaper of the Diocese of Sacramento. He remained in this position until his sudden death on November 27, 1992. Though he had been dealing with cancer for more than a year, he died from an apparent heart attack. His body was cremated and his remains were buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin. As an administrator, Fr. George sometimes guided those under him with a burly manner, but in later years, this gruff exterior gave way to a softer side. He is remembered for his hearty laugh and a wonderful sense of humor that endeared him to his community and the people to whom he ministered. He was also an avid sportsman who enjoyed fishing and hunting. His uncle was Fr. Paul Schuster, also of the USA Province, who had been a provincial and a consultor on the Generalate. Photo Photo


FATHER NEIL SEIDL SDS Born January 29, 1929 - Died May 12, 1999 Father Neil Seidl (birth name: William Joseph) was born in 1929 in Hewitt, Wisconsin, just outside Marshfield. He attended Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz for high school and the first two years of college. In 1947, he began his Novitiate year in Menominee, Michigan, and he made his profession of vows on September 8, 1948. He continued his studies for the priesthood at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, and Catholic University in Washington, DC, where he was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 5, 1954. Fr. Neil taught math, music, English, geography and history at Mother of the Savior Seminary in Blackwood, New Jersey and he was also dean of students. He pursued further studies at Glassboro State University in New Jersey, Pennsylvania University in Philadelphia, and the University of Maryland, and earned a Ph.D. He then taught at Dominican College in Racine, Wisconsin; and was principal of St. Pius X Prep in Galt, California, until the school’s closing in 1977. He became involved in both the Cursillo movement and World Wide Marriage Encounter, serving for several years as the director for these programs in the Diocese of Sacramento. He was associate pastor of Holy Cross Parish in Bryte (West Sacramento), and later in St. Charles Borromeo Parish in Sacramento. In 1987, Fr. Neil joined in the effort to establish Divine Savior Parish in Orangevale. In 1990, he was discovered to have low-grade lymphoma, a slow-growing cancer. He continued to minister in Divine Savior Parish until his death on May 12, 1999. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin. Fr. Neil is remembered as a kind and generous man who had a unique ability to reach out to the most destitute in society – the poor, the homeless, the suffering. He hungered to help people find a “sense of the holy” in their lives, even in the midst of their turmoil. Photo Photo


FATHER GEORGE FRANCIS SHEEHAN SDS Born June 30, 1914 - Died May 28, 2000 Father George Francis Sheehan was born on June 30, 1914, in Homestead, Pennsylvania, on the outskirts of Pittsburgh. After his sophomore year, he entered a Redemptorist minor seminary where he completed high school, the first two years of college, the Redemptorist Novitiate, and his philosophy studies as a vowed Redemptorist. He left the community before professing final vows. He joined the US Army and served during World War II in the Pacific, where he was wounded in action and received the Purple Heart medal. After working in a factory for a short time following the war, he became a Candidate for the Society in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin. During this time, he also taught algebra in the seminary there. In 1948, he began his Novitiate in Menominee, Michigan, and he made his profession of vows on September 8, 1949. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, and Catholic University in Washington, DC. He was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 6, 1953. Fr. George taught at Mother Mary Mission in Phenix City, Alabama, and also served as chaplain on the Army base in Fort Benning, Georgia, just across the river. He taught in Mackin High School in Washington, DC; and at Trinity Prep Seminary in Sioux City, Iowa. For two years, he was director of retreats at St. Pius X Retreat House in Blackwood, New Jersey. In 1967, he went into parish ministry, serving as pastor of St. Margaret Parish in Big Lake, Texas and St. Mary’s in Fort Worth. During his years in Texas, he also had his own radio show, in which he spoke about the spiritual aspects of world events. In 1982, he moved to Tennessee, and was pastor of Blessed Sacrament Parish in Harriman; then St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Fairfield Glade. In 1996, he retired to the Jordan Hall community in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The next year, he moved to St. Mary’s Home in Manitowoc, and he died there on May 28, 2000. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Fr. George is remembered as a witty, ever-smiling, genuinely nice man who loved being with people. He was deeply loved and respected by the people to whom he ministered. Though he had returned to his baptismal name, he was known for a long time by the religious name “Alphonsus.” Photo Photo


BROTHER FELIX SIMONS SDS Born October 17, 1912 - Died July 7, 1980 Brother Felix Simons (birth name: Joseph Michael) was born on October 17, 1912, in New Franken, Wisconsin, a little village just outside Green Bay, After a year of high school, he joined the Society as a Brother candidate in St. Nazianz. He entered the Novitiate there, and he made his profession of vows on May 12, 1933. Throughout his years in religious life, Bro. Felix was a painter, and his skills gave beauty to many of the churches and chapels around the province. He was a gifted artist, and he conveyed gentleness and holiness in the many murals that depicted Christ, Mary and Joseph, and the saints. Because of his talents, the time he spent in any one community was rarely lengthy, as new buildings and new renovation projects often called him elsewhere in the province. Through the years, he lived in St. Nazianz, at Mother of Good Counsel Parish in Milwaukee; at Jordan Seminary in Menominee, Michigan; at Mother of the Savior Seminary in Blackwood, New Jersey; and at Trinity Prep Seminary in Sioux City, Iowa. Each of these places bore witness to Bro. Felix’s gifts. But his greatest blessing would give him his greatest cross as well. The constant usage of the paints he needed for his trade also caused prolonged exposure to the lead within it, and he developed lead poisoning over the course of the years. Later in life, this would cause him much anguish and suffering. It was only too many years too late that the devastating effects of such exposure would be known. After a lifetime of dedicating his artistic talents to bring glory to God and beauty to many places of worship, Bro. Felix died quietly in Holy Family Extended Care Facility in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, on July 7, 1980. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Photo Photo


FATHER GERALD SIROIS SDS Born April 3, 1932 - Died July 26, 2005 Father Gerald Sirois was born in Frenchville, Maine, on April 3, 1932. He was one of seven children. The family made their home in nearby Madawaska, a city on the northern tip of Maine, on the USA-Canadian border. After the third year of high school in his hometown, he transferred to Jordan Seminary in Menominee, Michigan, where he completed high school and Specials’ Latin Studies. In 1954, he entered the Novitiate in Menominee, and during that year the Province relocated the Novitiate to Colfax, Iowa, where he made his Profession of Vows on September 8, 1955. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Mother of the Savior Seminary in Blackwood, New Jersey, Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland, and Catholic University in Washington, DC. During his Apostolic Year, he taught at Mackin High School in DC. He was ordained a priest in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on June 3, 1961. Fr. Gerald earned a Masters Degree in French and he taught languages at Salvatorian Seminary and JFK Prep in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin, until 1976. He then began ministering in parish work, at St. Frances Cabrini Parish in Lebanon, Tennessee, for a few months until the Society was asked to take St. Thomas Aquinas Parish in Cookeville and its mission parishes, St. Andrew’s in Sparta, St. Gregory’s in Smithville, and Divine Savior in Celina which he helped found. He interrupted parish work for three years when he served as the Province’s Director of Finance, from 1982 to 1985. Returning to parish ministry, his assignments took him to St. Joseph’s in Huntsville, Alabama; the Interparish Ministry in Chilton, Wisconsin; back to Cookeville, Tennessee; and finally to St. Gregory’s in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin. Health issues prompted his retirement in 2001, when he moved to Milwaukee. Fr. Gerald is remembered as an excellent teacher, lovingly called “Pere” by his French students, although he also taught Latin and Spanish at various times. He is also remembered for a phenomenal “green thumb” in gardening, having grown several “county fair prize winning” vegetables. For him, being close to the earth offered a chance to be close to God, and to share the gifts of the earth with friends, parishioners, and community members. He died on July 26, 2005, at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Milwaukee after a brief illness. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Though Fr. Gerald had returned to his baptismal name, he was known for a time in religious life by the name “Chanel.” Photo Photo


FATHER MARK STERBENZ SDS Born October 1, 1913 - Died August 26, 1993 Father Mark Sterbenz (birth name: John LeRoy) was born on October 1, 1913, in Baraga, Michigan, a small village on the shores of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula. After the first year of high school in his hometown, he transferred to Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin, where he completed his high school studies and the first two years of college. He entered the Novitiate there in 1933, and he made his profession of vows on September 8, 1934. After completing college in St. Nazianz, he went to Catholic University in Washington, DC, where he finished his studies for the priesthood. He was ordained on May 30, 1939, in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Fr. Mark ministered in the Publishing Department in St. Nazianz, learning the procedures and skills of fund-raising. He was one of the founding members of Mother Mary Mission in Phenix City, Alabama. He later worked in the Salvatorian Mission House in Elkton, Maryland, where he also served as Superior of the community and procurator. In 1961, he returned to Alabama, this time to St. Joseph’s Parish in Huntsville, as pastor of the parish and Superior of the community. He then was pastor of St. Catherine’s Parish in McMinnville, Tennessee; and later of St. Benedict’s Parish in Columbus, Georgia, where he also served as chaplain in the local regional hospital, the state correctional institution, and Fort Benning Army Base. Fr. Mark semi-retired in 1985, and remained in the Columbus area, serving as chaplain in two local hospitals, until a few months before his death. Having been diagnosed with terminal cancer, he was admitted to the hospice of St. Joseph’s Hospital in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where he died on August 26, 1993. He was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Fr. Mark is remembered as a caring priest with genial good humor, great energy and vitality, and selfless dedication to his ministries, which many times began with almost nothing, and grew steady and strong through his skills in fund-raising and development. Photo Photo


FATHER FRANCIS STOLWYK SDS Born April 24, 1903 - Died May 20, 1986 Father Francis Stolwyk (birth name: Arthur Edward) was born on April 24, 1903, in Fort Madison, Iowa, a small community on the Mississippi River in the southeast part of the state. After graduation from Marquette High School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, he took his first two years of college studies at Salvatorian Seminary in St. Nazianz. In 1938, he entered the Novitiate there, and he made his profession of vows on September 8, 1939. He completed his studies for the priesthood at Divine Savior Seminary in Lanham, Maryland. He was ordained in the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on May 22, 1945. Following ordination, Fr. Francis lived in St. Nazianz, giving retreats and helping in the local parishes, and in 1946, he became the province’s Novice Master. The next year, the Novitiate moved to Jordan Seminary in Menominee, Michigan. In 1955, he became associate pastor of St. Pius X Parish in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. In 1959, he moved to the relocated Novitiate community in Colfax, Iowa, and ministered as confessor to the Novices and procurator for the community. Later, Fr. Francis was chaplain in St. Joseph – Lloyd Hospital in Menominee, Michigan. He retired to his hometown in 1972, and cared for his aged sister. When she died in 1981, he moved to St. Nazianz, and later relocated with the community to the Jordan House in Milwaukee. Following a brief illness, he died on May 20, 1986, in St. Michael’s Hospital in Milwaukee, and he was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. A tall man who towered over almost everyone else, Fr. Francis is remembered as a kind and generous priest who deeply cared for those under his authority. As Novice Master for many younger Salvatorians over the years, he guided them in a firm but fair manner, instilling in them a sense of respect for one another and great joy in the service of the Lord. Photo Photo


BROTHER ARTHUR STUDT SDS Born August 14, 1915 - April 3, 2005 Brother Arthur Studt (birth name: William Bernard) was born on August 14, 1915 in St. Louis, Missouri. He was one of eight children. After graduating from the local high school, he worked in his hometown for five years. In 1939, he joined the Society in St. Nazianz, Wisconsin, where he also spent his Novitiate year. He made his Profession of Vows on September 8, 1940. It was there that he began a long career in bookkeeping and clerical duties in the service of the community for the next 58 years, most often in the finance and accounting offices. His ministry took him from the monastery in St. Nazianz to Mother of the Savior Seminary in Blackwood, New Jersey; to Salvatorian Center in New Holstein, Wisconsin; and finally to the Provincial Offices in Milwaukee, until his retirement in 1998, when a stroke prompted his move to St. Anne's Home. Bro. Arthur is affectionately remembered as a quiet, humble, and prayerful religious, who possessed a quick wit and genuine warmth. He was also known for great precision in all he did. His meticulous attention to details was phenomenal. If Bro. Arthur took care of the books, you new they'd be correct! But there was also a humorous side to his fastidious nature as well. While making sure that no misuse of the Province's official seal could occur, he would frequently move the rather heavy object to a different hiding place. When the Provincial wanted to apply the seal to a particular document, he would go to the last place he knew it to be, only to find that Bro. Arthur had hidden it somewhere else once again. If the Provincial inquired as to its whereabouts, Bro. Arthur would simply smile and say, "I'll bring it to you in your office." He wouldn't even tell the Provincial where the official seal was kept! In his later years, having never fully recovered from the effects of the stroke, Bro. Arthur spent his days quietly in the nursing home, continuing to minister to the community through his prayer. He died peacefully on April 3, 2005, and he was buried in the community cemetery in St. Nazianz. Photo Photo