Calumet county, Wisconsin

ELIZABETH N. DANIEL Mrs. Elizabeth (Betty) Daniel, 70, of Denver, Colo., a native of the Town of New Holstein, died Monday at Denver after a lengthy illness. Born on Oct. 18, 1905 near St. Anna, she was a daughter of Nicholas and Anna Mirsberger Nadler. She attended St. Ann Catholic School, St. Anna. She was a member of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church in Denver. Survivors include two sisters, Mrs. Hilda Buchholz and Mrs. Amanda Janty, both of Kiel. Two sisters and two brothers preceded her in death. A funeral Mass will be offered Friday at 11 a.m. at St. Ann Catholic Church, preceded by brief rites at 10:30 a.m. at the Meiselwitz Funeral Home, Kiel. The Rev. Milton Seuss, pastor, will be the celebrant. Burial will be in the parish cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 8 a.m. Friday. A service of the wake will be held at 10:15 a.m. Friday at the funeral home. Sheboygan Press, Tues. Dec. 23, 1975, p. 10, c. 6

CARL DAVID Ill Six Years Carl David Dies at Home Sunday. Kiel. –(Special) – Carl David, 73, died at his home in St. Anna Sunday afternoon at 3 o’clock after an illness of six years. He was born Jan. 28, 1867, in the town of New Holstein. He married Frances Loettel of St. John on Nov. 23, 1893. The family had lived in St. Anna since. Survivors are the widow, two sons, Louis on the homestead and Arthur C. of Milwaukee, and one grandson. Funeral services will be held Wednesday morning at 9:30 o’clock at the residence and at 10 o’clock at St. Ann’s Catholic church, the Rev. Clement Kern officiating, with burial in the adjoining cemetery. The body can be viewed at the residence. Mr. David was a member of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, St. Anna branch, and the society will attend the rites in a body. Sheboygan Press, Mon. Apr. 8, 1940, p. 6, c. 6 ********* Carl David Rites Held Wednesday in St. Anna Church. Elkhart Lake. – Funeral services for Carl David were held Wednesday at 10 a.m. at St. Anna church, the Rev. Clement P. Kern officiating. Burial was made in St. Anna cemetery. Members of the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin and the Holy Name society attended the services in a body. Pallbearers were Edward Dorn, Frank Meyer, Henry Turba, Henry Jeanty, Anton Roeder, and Alvis Brandt. Our-of-town persons attending the funeral were: Mr. and Mrs. Arthur David and son, James, Mrs. John Zimmerman, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Andryscryk, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sipowski, Miss Isabel Sipowski, Fred Graef and son, Frederick, Mrs. Mildred Skubal, Miss Mary Graef, Roy Graef, and Mrs. Henry Tietsel, all of Milwaukee; Mr. and Mrs. W. David, Mrs. Julius Harp, Mr. and Mrs. Louis David, all of Marshfield; Mr. and Mrs. George David, of Stanley; Mrs. Clara David and Mrs. Paul Brunett, of Thorp; Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Koehler, Peter and Leo Koehler, Mr. and Mrs. Claude Koehler, all of St. John; John and Leonard Koehler, Mrs. Anton Hauser, of Hilbert; Mrs. Robert Ott, Mr. and Mrs. G. Graase, Mrs. Mary Hammes, of Chilton, Mrs. Francis Kramer, of Stockbridge; Mr. and Mrs. Otto Joas of Cambellsport; Mrs. Henry Schneider, of West Allis; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Schleicher of Sheboygan Falls, Mr. and Mrs., of Kiel. Sheboygan Press, Sat. Apr. 13, 1940, p. 2, c. 6

FRANCES DAVID Mrs. Frances David, 86, of St. Anna, the widow of Carl David, died at noon Sunday at Calumet Memorial Hospital, Chilton, following a short illness. She was born Sept. 29, 1875, at Hilbert, the daughter of Robert and Frances Loessel. She married Mr. David at St. Ann’s Catholic Church Nov. 25, 1892. The couple made their home at St. Anna. Her husband preceded in her in death in April of 1940. Mrs. David was a member of St. Ann’s Church and of the Christian Mothers Altar Society of the church. Surviving are two sons, Louis of St. Anna and Arthur of North Lake; a grandson and three great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Ann’s Catholic Church following brief rites at Meiselwitz Funeral Home, Kiel, at 9:30 a.m. The Rev. Benedict H. Marx, pastor, will be the celebrant and burial will be in the church cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 3 p.m. Wednesday. The Christian Mothers Society will recite the rosary at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the funeral home. Sheboygan Press, Mon. Apr. 23, 1962, p. 14, c. 5

CECILIA DAVID Mrs. Louis David, 67, of St. Anna, died Tuesday evening at St. Nicholas Hospital, Sheboygan, after a lingering illness. The former Cecilia Schleicher was born Feb. 7, 1896, at Watertown, a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schleicher. She attended St. Henry’s Parochial School at Watertown and was married to Louis David of St. Anna at St. Henry’s Church Aug. 19, 1936. The couple lived at St. Anna their entire married lives. She was a member of St. Ann’s Catholic Church and the Christian Mothers Society of the church. Surviving are her husband, treasurer of the Town of New Holstein; a sister, Mrs. Frank Kuhli, Sun Prairie; and a brother, George Schleicher, Watertown. Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Ann’s Catholic Church, St. Anna, following brief rites at the Meiselwitz Funeral Home, Kiel, at 10 a.m. The Rev. Benedict H. Marx, pastor, will officiate and burial will be in the church cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 3 p.m. Friday. The Christian Mothers Society will recite the Rosary at 8 p.m. Friday and the parish Rosary will be at 8:30. Sheboygan Press, Wed. Jan. 8, 1964, p. 14, c. 5

MIKE DAVID Russell- Mike David, a former resident, passed away Monday at Marytown. The deceased lived her up till his wife died about five years ago. Since then he made his home at the Engelbert Koehler home at Marytown. The funeral services were read Thursday by Rev. J.H. Schmitt with interment in St. Ann’s cemetery. Sheboygan Press, Thurs. Nov. 1, 1923, p. 8, c. 1

CATHERINE DELAHUNT Mrs. DeLa Hunt, Former Resident of County, Dies. Chilton. – Mrs. Katherine De La Hunt, former resident here and in the Town of Russell, Sheboygan county, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Roy Scanlon, 8220 Avon court, Wauwatosa, Monday at the age of 72 years. Mrs. De La Hunt, nee Katherine Raleigh, was born in the town of Rantoul, Calumet county, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Raleigh. She was united in marriage to John De La Hunt of the Town of Russell, Sheboygan county, and the couple made their home on a farm there for many years, later coming to Chilton. The couple resided here until a year ago, when Mr. De La Hunt died. Since then, Mrs. De La Hunt resided with her daughter at Wauwatosa. Besides her daughter, Mrs. De La Hunt is survived by a son, John P. De La Hunt, of Stockbridge; four grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Julius Schroeder and Miss Nellie Raleigh, both of Chilton, and two brothers, William of Chilton and Patrick of Stratford. Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 7 a.m. at the Wendler Funeral home in Milwaukee and at 10:30 a.m. at St. Anne’s church at St. Anne. Sheboygan Press, Tues. July 13, 1937, p. 10, c. 7

JOHN DELAHUNT At his home in the town of Russell, Sheboygan County, on Monday March 2, 1891, John Dela Hunt died. The deceased had been ill for about six months with disease of the liver and gall bladder. During his illness he made no complaint. The best medical aid was procured and everything done to prolong his life, but to no avail; he died early Monday morning. He was born in Feathard, county Tipperary, Ireland, in 1826. He came to America in 1847 and located in Genessee County, New York, where he resided for eight years. In 1852 he was married to Catherine Keenan, and in 1855, with his wife came to Wisconsin and purchased farming land in the town of Russell, Sheboygan County. By industry and thrift he succeeded in making for himself and family a beautiful home. He was a man generous to a fault, and everyone knew the large hearted, good natured, John DelaHunt. He was known as an indulgent father, a kind neighbor and a true friend, who could be relied upon in case of need. In his death the town of Russell loses an upright and honest citizen, and a man who was the life of social gatherings. His wife died in 1885. He leaves three son, John, William and Peter, two daughters, Mrs. James Mortell and Mrs. Thomas Grogan, one brother, James DelaHunt and one sister, Mrs. Michael Dee, of Detroit, Mich., besides other relative to mourn his death The funeral took place on Wednesday from the St. Anna church and was largely attended. The Times extends sympathy to the relatives, in this their hour of grief. Chilton Times, March 7, 1891

JOHN DELAHUNT John Dela Hunt Dies at Home in Chilton On Friday. Chilton. – John Dela Hunt, 82, long-time resident of Sheboygan county, died at his home here Friday at 11 p.m. Mr. Hunt was born in the state of New York September 13, 1853, and as a young boy came to the town of Russell, Sheboygan county, with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dela Hunt. The family resided in the township for many years. Survivors are: the widow and a son, John, of Chilton, and a daughter, Mrs. Roy Scanlon of Milwaukee. The body will lie in state at the A.J. Pfeffer Funeral Home here until Monday at 9 a.m., when it will be taken to St. Anna where the funeral services will be conducted at the church at 10 a.m. Burial will be made in the St. Anna cemetery. Sheboygan Press, Sat. Apr. 11, 1936, p. 2, c. 4

MARY DELAHUNT On Monday, Mrs. William Delahunt died at her home in the town of Russell at the age of 43 years, after an illness of ten days from pneumonia. Mary Gannon, who was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Gannon, was born in the town of Greenbush, Sheboygan County, April 2, 1865. In 1888 she was married to William Delahunt of the town of Russell and made her home in that town until death’s summons came. She was a woman who had won a place secure in the hearts of her neighbors and friends by her kindly ways and christian life and she will be greatly missed not only from the family circle but by the entire community. Her funeral took place from the St. Anna’s Catholic Church Wednesday, Rev. Fr. Stemper officiating. A husband, three sons and three daughters survive her. The many friends of the bereft family extend sympathy. Chilton Times, April 26, 1908

PETER DELAHUNT Not only the people of the town of Russell, Sheboygan County, but many in this county were shocked on Tuesday of last week when a telegram was received from Syracuse, New York, bringing news of the sudden and unexpected death of Peter De La Hunt, formerly a resident of the town of Russell. The same day his brother, William, took the train east and returned Friday evening last with the remains to Elkhart where they were met by a large delegation of sorrowing relatives and friends and taken to the home of another brother where they remained until Saturday afternoon when the funeral was held from St. Anna and was attended by many from all sections of Calumet and Sheboygan counties. Peter De La Hunt was a son of late John De La Hunt and was born in the town of Russell, Feb. 22, 1862. He remained on his father’s farm and attended the country schools until seventeen years of age when he learned the cheese maker’s trade which he followed successfully for some years both in Sheboygan and this county. Some ten days before his death he complained of not feeling will and quit work. He was up and around until the Saturday before his death when he was obliged to take to his bed, his illness having terminated in acute pneumonia. Pete De La Hunt, as he was familiarly called by those who knew him intimately, was every inch a man. A sunny disposition and an exceptionally kind and benevolent heart helped him to win his way into the friendship of every one whom he met and it is safe to say that he had not an enemy in the world. He was straight forward and reliable, worthy of implicit trust and highly esteemed by those who had dealings with him in a business way. Socially he was most companionable and his comrades and friends have only the kindest memories of him, the many beautiful floral offerings that accompanied his remains to their last resting place giving evidence of the friendship that was his in his late home in the east. Two brothers, John and William of Russell, and two sisters, Mrs. Thomas Grogan, of Russell, and Mrs. Jas. Mortell, of Chilton town, survive him. Chilton Times, August 24, 1907

AGNES DICKRELL Mrs. Agnes Dickrell, 87, a former resident of St. Anna, died suddenly early today at the home of her son, John N. Dickrell, 2863 N. 28th St., Milwaukee. She was stricken with a fatal heart attack at 4:45 a.m. Mrs. Dickrell, who had made her home with her son for the past few months, appeared to be in good health when she retired Thursday night after spending the evening with members of the family. She was born March 3, 1868, at Holy Cross, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Possley, and moved to New Holstein with her parents when she was a child. Following her marriage to John Dickrell on July 15, 1890, she lived on a farm one mile east of St. Anna where they operated a store and tavern for 10 years. Since 1925, the couple lived in Milwaukee. Mr. Dickrell died June 19, 1931. Mrs. Dickrell was a member of the Christian Mothers Society of both St. Anne’s and St. Leo’s parishes in Milwaukee and the Third Order of St. Francis. Survivors, in addition to the son, are four daughters, Mrs. Andrew J. (Emma) Michaels, Elkhart Lake, Mrs. Walter F. (Lydia) Dorn and Mrs. Edmund J. (Agatha) Schrang, Milwaukee, and Mrs. Cleomene (Clara) Nelli, of Los Angeles; 23 grandchildren and 34 great-grandchildren. She is also survived by four brothers, Charles Possley of Thorp, Wis., Nicholas of Macomb, Ill, Henry of Erie, Ill., and Milton of Green Bay, and three sisters, Mrs. Jacob Wiskerchen of Durand, Wis., Mrs. Joseph Hron and Mrs. Hilary Gerend, of Arcadia Calif. One son, Theodore, died April 29, 1953. Two brothers and three sisters also preceded her in death. Funeral services will be held at 9:30 a.m. Monday at the Raeder Funeral Home, Elkhart Lake, and at 10 a.m. at St. Ann’s Catholic Church at St. Anna. The Rev. Anthony Dorn, of Waukesha, a grandson of the deceased, will be the celebrant of the requiem high mass. Interment will be in the family lot in the parish cemetery. The body will lie in state from 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday at the Zwaska Funeral Home, 24th and W. Center St., Milwaukee, and the Raeder Funeral Home in Elkhart Lake after 2 p.m. Sunday. Sheboygan Press, Fri. Dec. 2, 1955, p. 8, c. 6 ********** Funeral services for Mrs. Agnes Dickrell, who died at the home of her son, John N. Dickrell at Milwaukee Friday morning, were held Monday morning at 9:30 at the Raeder Funeral Home at Elkhart Lake, and at 10 o’clock at St. Ann’s Catholic Church at St. Anna with the Rev. Anthony H. Dorn of Waukesha, grandson of the deceased, celebrating the Mass of Requiem, with burial at the church cemetery there. Pallbearers were six grandsons of the deceased, David Dickrell of Stanley, Lloyd F. Dickrell of Milladore, Kenneth Dickrell of Chilton, Theodore Dorn, Eugene and Kurt Schrang of Milwaukee. Sheboygan Press, Tues. Dec. 6, 1955, p.14, c. 6

ARTHUR DICKRELL Arthur Dickrell is the Victim of Poison Murder in County. Attempt to Murder Whole Family Made. Poisoning of Man, Woman and Four Children is Believed to be Act of Person Suffering with a Diseased Mind – Mother and Her Children Are in Serious Condition. Arthur Dickrell, 33-year-old Town Russell farmer, is dead, his wife and four children are in serious condition in Plymouth hospital, and two others are under the care physicians as the result of arsenic poisoning with which they became afflicted over a week ago. The case, which is one the most tragic and pathetic that has come to the attention of the county authorities in many years, is being thoroughly investigated. It may take several days before responsibility for the poisoning will be known. Indications are that Mrs. Dickrell put arsenic in the food, but authorities have not attached definite blame to her yet. A pathetic sidelight of the case is that besides being the mother of four children, the eldest of whom is seven and the youngest, two, Mrs. Dickrell is to become the mother of a fifth child. Mr. Dickrell died in Plymouth hospital at 5 a.m. today. He had been ill for about a week, and his condition grew more serious each day until yesterday when Dr. Steve O’Donnell of Kiel advised his removal to the hospital in an ambulance. Mrs. Dickrell, who is 36 years old, has been in the hospital since Tuesday. Her condition was pronounced as critical. The four Dickrell children, Frances Marie, aged 2; Ambrose and Anthony, twins, aged 5 and Joseph, aged 7, were taken to hospital this morning. All the children are in a weakened condition, and will require most careful attention. Miss Elfrieda Schmitz of the town of Russell, who was employed to assist Mrs. Dickrell during the past eight weeks, became ill Sunday, and went home. She did not know the cause of her illness. Today, Miss Schmitz and Joseph Klapperich, of St. Ann, father of Mrs. Dickrell, who had occasionally visited his daughter’s home, were taken to Plymouth hospital for examination, and both are under the care of physicians. Sheriff Ernst Zehms said after an investigation today that a petition asking that Mrs. Dickrell be examined for her sanity has been filed with County Judge F.H. Schlichting, and that in all probability the examination will be conducted, if Mrs. Dickrell recovers from her present critical condition. A post mortem examination of the body of Mr. Dickrell was conducted this morning by Coroner C.N. Sonnenburg. A portion of the stomach was removed, and Dr. Sonnenburg took it to Madison, where it was to be examind by a state toxicologist. First knowledge of the illness of Dickrell family was gained by relatives last Friday night, when Miss Catherine Dickrell, sister of Arthur, who is employed in the office of Dr. Edmund Knauf of Sheboygan, visited the farm, which is on County Highway H, four miles south of St. Ann. Miss Dickrell was accompanied by William Moritz, her fiance, of Milwaukee, she told The Sheboygan Press today. After Miss Dickrell had visited the Arthur Dickrell home, she went to the home of another brother, Nick Dickrell, who resides a short distance from his brother’s farm, and told him and members of his family that the entire Arthur Dickrell family was ill. “Arthur went to Dr. O’Donnell at Kiel, Thursday night,” Miss Dickrell told The Press. “He told the doctor that he and others of his family were suffering from stomach disorders that caused them to vomit frequently. The doctor gave him some medicine to give to them, and he returned. “Arthur thought the doctor would go to the farm Friday, but he did not go. I notified the doctor Saturday, and he went out and examined Arthur and his wife and the children.” Miss Dickrell said she and Mrs. Moritz went back to Elkhart Lake, where her parents reside, and stayed there Friday night, returning to the farm to assist in the farm work Saturday, and again Sunday. After that, Armin Gross of St. Ann was engaged to carry on the farm work. He has been assisted from time to time since then by relatives and others residing in the neighborhood. Interviewed by The Sheboygan Press today, Mr. Gross said he had been eating his meals away from the Dickrell place. Miss Madeline Deville of St. Ann has been taking care of the household duties since yesterday, and she has prepared her own meals, she said. After attention was called to the illness of the members of the Dickrell family Friday, neighbors became alarmed, fearing that a strange malady had seized them and that it might be contagious. Relatives were frequent visitors to the Dickrell home after that. On Monday evening a number of relatives gathered outside the home and were discussing the situation, Nick Dickrell said. During that time Mrs. Dickrell made statements which indicated that she had poisoned her husband, children and herself, Mr. Dickrell declared. “We were standing outside talking,” said Nick Dickrell, when Mrs. (Arthur) Dickrell, who had been watching us from the window, came out. “She said, ‘You are acting as if you think I poisoned them’ (Mr. Dickrell and the children). If you will come in the house I will tell you all about it.” Nick Dickrell stated that he and the others followed the woman in the house, and that she made a lengthy explanation. “She said that she had wanted to kill the children for a long time,” Mr. Dickrell continued. ‘Once she took two of them in an automobile with intention of gassing them, but she didn’t quite know how to do it, she told us. “Another time, she said, she went to Kiel and bought some strychnine, which she had planned to give the members of her family. She changed her mind about that, however, and took it back to Kiel. We haven’t investigated yet, so we don’t know whether she told us the truth about that or not. “We asked her way she wanted to kill her family, and she said, ‘The children are damned, Arthur is damned, I am damned, we are all damned, so we might as well all die. That’s the reason.’ “After we heard her story, we concluded that her mind must have been affected. She had been acting somewhat strangely for a long time.” Mr. Dickrell said his brother and wife had not had any serious trouble so far as he knew. “They had little quarrels occasionally, the same as any man and wife have, I suppose,” he said. “But otherwise they seemed to get along all right.” Coroner Sonnenburg said Dr. O’Donnell told him that Mrs. Dickrell is expecting a fifth child, and that this might have affected her mind. Mrs. Dickrell did not reveal how she poisoned her husband and children, and it was not until yesterday that she was suspected of having put arsenic in their food. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Klapperich, parents of Mrs. Arthur Dickrell, went to the home yesterday to help with the farm work. They planned to spray a field of potatoes with arsenic, and they stopped on the way to Elkhart Lake to ascertain how much arsenic the Dickrells had from last year’s supply. They asked Arthur Dickrell where he kept his arsenic, and were informed that it was on the pantry floor under a shelf with a cover over it. Nick Dickrell stated that Mr. and Mrs. Klapperich searched for the poison, but could not find it in the place described by Mr. Dickrell. Finally they found it on a pantry shelf. It had been uncovered, and appeared as though it had been used recently, Mr. Dickrell said. Then it was concluded that Mrs. Dickrell had administered poison to her family and herself in food. When questioned about it today, she denied it, Questioned by Sheriff Zehms, Miss Schmitz said that while she was employed by Mrs. Dickrell, it was her duty to start preparation of bread and other food, and that Mrs. Dickrell finished the work. “I never saw her put anything in the food,” Miss Schmitz was quoted by the sheriff as having said. “But every time I ate bread or potatoes, I became nauseated and had vomiting spells. Others of the family suffered the same way as I did.” Miss Schmitz said Mrs. Dickrell acted strangely at times, according to the sheriff. The arsenic, as well as bread that Mrs. Dickrell had baked recently, other food she had prepared, and ingredients used in the preparation of foods for the family, were turned over to the county authorities today. Mr. Dickrell, who was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dickrell of Elkhart Lake, and Mrs. Dickrell, nee Mary Klapperich, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Klapperich of St. Ann, were married about eight years ago. (This article includes pictures of the family members and the family home with a caption.) Sheboygan Press, Thurs. June 29, 1933, p. 1, c. 1 *********** Plan Inquest in Poison Case. Arsenic Was Given in Food; Quiz Woman. Mrs. Arthur Dickrell, Widow of Poisoned Man, Proves Incoherent When Interviewed by the District Attorney and Sheriff. Following a conference today, District Attorney Charles A. Copp and Coroner C.N. Sonnenburg ordered an inquest to determine all the facts surrounding the death in Plymouth hospital early Thursday of Arthur Dickrell, town of Russell. A jury was to be drawn this afternoon, and was to view the remains of Mr. Dickrell at the home on Highway H, four miles south of St. Ann at 5 p.m. The inquest will be held at the city hall in Plymouth at 9 a.m. Monday. Coroner Sonnenburg took a portion of Mr. Dickrell’s stomach to Madison after he had performed a post mortem examination Thursday, and it is to be examined there by the state toxicologist. Dr. Sonnenburg expects to have a report of the findings Saturday afternoon. Everything indicates that Mr. Dickrell’s death and the serious illness of his wife and four children, Miss Elfrieda Schmitz, who was employed by the Dickrells, and Joseph Klapperich, father of Mrs. Dickrell, is the result of arsenic poison administered through food, District Attorney Copp said. Definite responsibility for placing the poison in the food has not been placed as yet. “Yesterday, I investigated the case as far as it was possible,” Mr. Copp said. “In company with Sheriff Ernst Zehms, I visited the Plymouth hospital and questioned Mrs. Dickrell, but her condition was such that I could not talk to her as much as I wanted to. Her conversation was entirely incoherent, and I decided to wait until today to continue my questioning, hopeful that her condition will be somewhat improved, and that she may divulge her connection with the case.” “Up to the present time,” Mr. Copp stated, “there is no direct evidence as to how the poison got into the food.” The district attorney asserted that he had interviewed a number of relatives and acquaintances of the Dickrells, and that everyone who has any information to offer in regard to the cause of death of Mr. Dickrell and the illness of seven others will have the opportunity to give it to the coroner’s jury. The condition of two of the Dickrell children and of Miss Schmitz is stil serious, Dr. Steven O’Donnell of Kiel, who is attending them, stated today. Dr. O’Donnell corrected an impression created by a statement of Miss Catherine Dickrell in yesterday’s article that he had been called to the Dickrell farm Thursday to attend members of the family. “Arthur Dickrell came to me Thursday evening and claimed that he and his family were suffering from stomach flu,” Dr. O’Donnell said. “He diagnosed the cases himself, and did not ask me to do it. He said he and his family had been ill for about a month, and he wanted a bottle of medicine to cure their illness. “I said that, if he and his family had been sick a month, their cases should be investigated immediately or at the latest the following morning. But, according to Mr. Dickrell’s opinion that was not necessary. He thought a bottle of medicine would do the work. This was contrary to my opinion, but I did not feel that I should go without being asked. “Mr. Dickrell said that when he needed my services further, he would notify me. I received my first call to go out to the farm at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, and I went out. I diagnosed the cases as being the result of poison of some kind, and treated the patients accordingly.” Mrs. Joseph Klapperich, mother of Mrs. Dickrell, and a Kiel physician who had previously attended Mrs. Dickrell and who had known her several years, said she had acted peculiarly for some time, District Attorney Copp said, however, according to Coroner Sonnenburg. Mrs. Klapperich stated that her daughter had complained of “having something wrong with her head,” but that her husband did not want to send her to an institution because of his deep affection for her. Before her marriage, Mrs. Dickrell had been employed in a Kiel physician’s office, and she had gone to him for treatment after that. A few months ago, according to the district attorney, the Kiel physician observed a difference in her mental attitude. Mrs. Klapperich stated that she and her husband and a farm hand, Joseph Stanz, had all eaten some of the bread in which poison had been placed, and that they had become ill afterward. “I didn’t know what was wrong with the bread, but it didn’t taste right and I didn’t eat much of it,” she declared. “My husband and Art ate a good deal of it, though.” Sheboygan Press, Fri. June 30, 1933, p. 1, c. 1 ********** Mrs. Dickrell Removed to County Asylum. Hold Rites for Victim of Poison. Mrs. Dickrell Taken to Asylum for Treatment – Await Word from Madison. Mrs. Arthur Dickrell, whom county authorities suspect of having poisoned her husband and seven others at their Town of Russell home, resulting in Mr. Dickrell’s death last Thursday, is in the Sheboygan county hospital for the insane pending further investigation of the poisoning case. An order temporarily committing her there was signed Saturday by County Judge F.H. Schlichting, and she was removed from Plymouth hospital to the county institution by Sheriff Ernst C. Zehms on Saturday afternoon. District Attorney Charles A. Copp stated that Mrs. Dickrell’s condition was such that it became necessary to send her to the insane hospital in order to give her the kind of treatment she requires. Funeral services for Mr. Dickrell were conducted at the Catholic church at St. Ann on Saturday by the Rev. Father J.H. Schmitt. The church was packed to capacity, and a large crowd stood outside while the services were under way. The funeral was one of the largest ever held in the vicinity of St. Ann. Due to the condition of Mrs. Dickrell and her children, none of the immediate members of the family was able to attend the funeral. Coroner C.N. Sonnenburg has not received the findings of the state toxicologist on his examination of a portion of Mr. Dickrell’s stomach which was taken to Madison for examination by Coroner Sonnenburg after a post mortem examination had been conducted the day of his death. It may be received about Thursday, after which a coroner’s inquest will be conducted in Plymouth. Members of the coroner’s jury are: Clyde Ellis of Elkhart Lake, Milton Timm and Arthur Seefeldt of Plymouth, George Knoblauch and Robert Mauer of Elkhart Lake, and Joseph Spatt of Sheboygan. A can of arsenate of lead, bread and other food believed to contain arsenate of lead have also been taken to the state toxicologist for examination and report. The condition of Miss Elfrieda Schmitz, who was employed by the Dickrells until a week ago Sunday when she became ill after eating food alleged to have contained poison, is unchanged at Plymouth hospital today, it was reported. The four Dickrell children are reported improving, as is Joseph Klapperich, father of Mrs. Dickrell, who was examined at the hospital and who is still under a physician’s observation. Funeral services for Arthur Dickrell were held at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at St. Ann’s church. The Holy Name Society led the cortege with their banner draped in mourning and escorted the body to the cemetery for burial. “There are times when condolence seems sheer mockery,” the Rev. Father Schmitt said during the course of his remarks to relatives of the deceased. “Human words of sympathy are inadequate mitigate or alleviate the sorrowing and bleeding heart of the bereaved relatives and friends on an occasion of this kind. When human aid is exhausted, we must take refuge in God, the Author and Source of holy religion.” Pallbearers were Edward and Nick Jeanty, John Wieseckle, Irwin and Walter Roeder and Armin Gross. Among those who attended the services from away were Mr. and Mrs. John Klapperick and family of Kiel, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Klapperick and family of New Holstein, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Casper, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Casper, Mrs. Peter Casper, Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Casper of Marytown, Joseph Nett, Joseph Stephany and Joseph Wagner of Johnsburg, Mrs. Matt Wagner of Calvary, Mr. and Mrs. William Wagner of St. Joe, Mr. and Mrs. John Jeanty of Stockbridge, Mr. and Mrs. Hugo Huberty of Kiel, Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Huberty of Kiel, Mr. and Mrs. Mueller of St. Cloud, Mrs. Peter J. Schmitz and daughter, Eleanor, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Weber and Mrs. Tille Lacroix of Marytown, Mrs. William Sievert, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Sievert and Mr. and Mrs. Paul Lacroix and family of Steinthal, Mr. and Mrs. Nic Michels, Mr. and Mrs. John Jost and family, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Pul, Emil Becker and Mrs. Mathew Becker of Kiel, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Michels, Mrs. Eliza Mushberger, Mrs. Theresa Hoeflier of Elkhart Lake, Mr. and Mrs. Anton Dohr, Ed Dohr, Mr. and Mrs. Norbert Dohr and Mathew Winkels of Hilbert, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Lacroix of Glenbeulah, Silvan Klehr of Random Lake, Ed Grabinger of Fredonia, John P. Stahl and family and Jacob Grabinger of Batavia, John Michels, Mrs. R. Hanke and Alfred Mushberger and family of Sheboygan, Mrs. John Dickrell, John N. Dickrell, Mr. and Mrs. Walter Dorn, Mrs. Ed Schang, Mrs. Cleo Nelli, William Moritz and Mrs. F.J. Fichter of Milwaukee, Henry Schram and family of Cleveland, Wis., John Schram and family of Spring Valley, and Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Dickrell and family of Appleton. The deceased, son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Dickrell of Elkhart Lake, was born Jan. 30, 1900, in the town of Russell. He lived in the town of Russell all his life and was a devout member of the Catholic church and a member of the Holy Name society since its organization. Sheboygan Press, Mon. July 3, 1933, p. 1, c. 5 *********** Find Poison Caused Death of Arthur Dickrell. Arsenic in Flour Also, is Finding. Plot to Murder an Entire Family is Obvious in Report from Toxicologist. Re: Arthur Dickrell (Deceased) Preliminary examination of materials in case shows that the stomach and contents, sample of bread and flour, all contain arsenic. In all probablilty this is a case of acute arsenic poisoning. Letter follows. R.P. Herwick, State Toxicologist. District Attorney Charles A. Copp received the foregoing message from State Toxicologist R.P. Herwick of Madison today. The message is a preliminary report on the examination of the portion of stomach of Arthur Dickrell, Town Russell farmer, who died of arsenic poisoning, together with bread and flour which were sent to him for examination. It bears out the theory that Arthur Dickrell was a murder victim and that an attempt was made to murder the entire Dickrell family by putting arsenic in their food. The findings of the state toxicologist make wholesale murder plot beyond any doubt since it shows that even the flour, which Attorney Copp scooped up out of the flour bin in the Dickrell home and which was used in making bread for the entire family, contained the deadly arsenic poison. Mr. Copp stated following receipt of the telegram that he will await the detailed report of the state toxicologist, which will probably arrive late today or tomorrow, after which the inquest will be held. Mr. Dickrell died in Plymouth hospital after a violent illness which wracked his whole system. Mrs. Dickrell, who was thought to have eaten some of the food containing the poisoning and who has been questioned at length by District Attorney Copp as to her connection with the poison plot, has been in the Sheboygan county hospital for the insane since last Saturday evening. She is believed insane and was removed to the county institution because it was deemed a place where she would receive proper care pending the murder inquiry. Miss Elfrieda Schmitz, who was employed as a maid on the Dickrell farm, is still in serious condition in Plymouth hospital as the result of having eaten food containing the poison. The four Dickrell children are improving at Plymouth hospital, but are not entirely out of danger, according to hospital reports. Joseph Klapperich, father of Mrs. Dickrell, who also ate some of the poisoned food, is out of danger. All those who suffered from the poison are under the observation of physicians. Sheboygan Press, Thurs. July 6, 1933, p. 1, c. 8 ********** Jury Directs Blame to Mrs. Arthur Dickrell. Testimony is Given at Plymouth. Arsenic Poisoning Given as the Cause of Death of Arthur Dickrell. (By Staff Reporter). Plymouth, Wis. – A coroner’s jury at noon today concluded that Arthur Dickrell, town of Russell farmer, died at Plymouth hospital on June 29, 1933, from arsenic poisoning by eating bread prepared by Mrs. Mary Dickrell, and expressed a belief that Mrs. Dickrell was responsible for the death. The full text of the verdict, which was returned by the jury composed of Clyde Ellis of Elkhart Lake, Milton Timm, George Knoblauch and Arthur Seefeldt of Plymouth, Joe Spatt of Sheboygan, and Robert Maurer of Elkhart Lake, follows: “An inquisition taken at Plymouth, Wis., in the county of Sheboygan on the 20th day of July, 1933, before C.N. Sonnenburg, coroner of said county, upon the view of the body of Arthur Dickrell, there dead, by the jurors, whose names are hereunto subscribed, who being duly sworn to inquire in behalf of this state when, in what manner, and by what means the said Arthur Dickrell came to his death, up their oaths do say, Arthur Dickrell died on June 29, 1933, at Plymouth hospital at 5:10 a.m., from arsenic poisoning by eating bread prepared by Mrs. Mary Dickrell, his wife, and we believe Mrs. Mary Dickrell to be responsible for said death.” Testimony of fourteen witnesses corroborated information contained in Sheboygan Press accounts of the death of Mr. Dickrell and illness of others. That Mrs. Dickrell had acted strangely and was probably demented, that she had intended on former occasions to kill members of her family, once by giving them strychnine and once by taking the children in the family automobile with a plan to asphyxiate them, was borne out in testimony at the inquest. Witnesses said Mrs. Dickrell had on one occasion tried to buy strychnine from a veterinarian, had actually purchased an eighth of an ounce at a Kiel drug store at another time, but had returned it, and that she also admitted she wanted to asphyxiate the children with carbon monoxide gas from their automobile, but gave up because she did not know how to do it. Several of the witnesses also testified that the woman appeared to have been mentally deranged for several months. Dr. O.J. Gutsch of Sheboygan, the first witness called, testified that Mrs. Dickrel was suffering from illusionary religious insanity with homicidal tendencies on July 11, when he examined her at the Sheboygan county hospital for the chronic insane. She had no organic ailment, except that the indications are she is an expectant mother, and that she had been undernourished, and was anemic. She was in a nervous state and was depressed, Dr. Gutsch said. He declared she insisted she had not put poison in the food. Mrs. Dickrell told Dr. Gutsch that she had a vision or session with the spirits in which she had been informed that Mr. Dickrell, as well as herself, were damned and would be better off dead, he testified. She did not learn of her husband’s death until July 10. The witness said that Mrs. Dickrell’s mental condition was not induced by the fact that she is to become a mother, although it was probably aggravated by that condition.She had been incoherent and irrational about ten months, he said, and had performed peculiar acts as early as the latter part of last October. Dr. R.P. Herwick, state toxicologist, testified that he had examined contents of Mr. Dickrell’s stomach and other organs and a sample of bread taken to him by Coroner Sonnenburg, as well as samples of flour and a can of arsenate of lead taken by District Attorney Copp, and had found them to contain arsenate of lead. His conclusion was that Mr. Dickrell’s death was undoubtedly due to arsenic poisoning. Bones of those who ate food containing the arsenate of lead without doubt have lead deposited in them, he said. Dr. Joseph Mueller of Plymouth, who assisted in attending Mr. Dickrell before his death and who also assisted in performing the autopsy following death, said death was without doubt due to arsenic poisoning. The kind of poison from which he was suffering, however, was not definitely known until after the state toxicologist had given his report after examining Mr. Dickrell’s organs and the sample of bread and flour. Dr. Mueller said Mr. Dickrell was in a stupor and beyond help when he was taken to the hospital. No attempt was made to give him medicine to counteract the poison, he stated, because the poison had already taken its deadly effect. Dr. Fred Knauf of Kiel, who has known Mrs. Dickrell for about sixteen years, observed her failing mental condition during the past year or more, he testified. She had at one time been employed in his office, and he had treated her several times since then. Late last winter, when he attended her, he noted a considerable change in her mental attitude. She was highly nervous and apprehensive at the time, he stated. Dr. Willard Verbeck of St. Ann examined Mrs. Dickrell last March, and advised her husband and her father to take her to an institution as the “best and safest thing to do,” he testified. Replying to a question by District Attorney Copp, the physician expressed a belief that she might have been a dangerous type of insane person. Miss Elfrieda Schmitz of the town of Russell, who was employed at the Dickrell home from April 10 until the Sunday before Mr. Dickrell’s death, stated that she had started the bread making on several occasions, but was with one exception, always told after a certain stage in the preliminary breadmaking operations to do something else, and that Mrs. Dickrell would finish the task. On one occasion, Miss Schmitz prepared and baked the bread, she said. According to her testimony, Miss Schmitz became ill several times after eating bread at the Dickrell home. She never suspected that Mrs. Dickrell was putting poison in the food, she said. She saw a can of arsenate of lead on a pantry shelf at one time, she stated, but there seemed to be nothing unusual about that at the time. Miss Schmitz told of eating biscuists and bread made by Mrs. Dickrell and observing that they had a peculiar taste. Mr. Dickrell complained about the bread’s taste to Mrs. Dickrell several times, and once bought baker’s bread, Miss Schmitz said. There was no discord between Mr. and Mrs. Dickrell nor among the neighbors so far as Miss Schmitz knew, she stated. Dr. Steven O’Donnell of Kiel, who attended the poison victims, said that Mr. Dickrell went to his office on June 22 and said he and his family were suffering from a stomach disorder, and he wanted some medicine. Dr. O’Donnell prescribed medicine for them, and on June 24 went to the farm and examined his patients, determining at the time that they were suffering from some sort of poisoning, he asserted. Mrs. Dickrell was mentally, but not physically ill, he added. He took a sample of bread from the Dickrell home, intending to mail it to Madison for examination, but in the meantime, Mr. Dickrell died, and the sample was turned over to Coroner Sonnenburg, the doctor stated. Stewart Lindsay, a Kiel pharmacist, testified that Mrs. Dickrell bought an eighth of an ounce of strychnine from him on March 28, but later returned it. When he asked her what she wanted it for, she said she intended to poison rats, he said, and he told her there were other rat exterminators that were less dangerous, but she did not want them. Dr. I.A. Walsdorf, a Kiel veterinarian, testified that when he visited the Dickrell farm on May 19, Mrs. Dickrell wanted to buy some strychnine from him, but he advised her to use a less dangerous rat exterminator, and she decided she did not want anything. Joe Stanz of Kiel, who was employed at the Dickrell farm on June 23, told of becoming seriously ill after eating at the Dickrell home. He had two meals there, dinner and supper, eating a slice of bread that tasted peculiar at the noon meal, but none at the evening meal. Joseph Klapperich of the town of New Holstein, Calumet county, father of Mrs. Dickrell, also told of the peculiar taste in bread he ate at his daughter’s home, and of finding a can containing a small quantity of arsenate of lead in the cupboard at the Dickrell residence. He and Mrs. Klapperich both became ill after eating bread there, he said. The day Mrs. Dickrell was taken to the hospital, Mr. and Mrs. klapperich returned to the Dickrell farm, and Mr. Klapperich suggested that the potatoes should be sprayed, he said. Mr. Dickrell was ill, and Mr. Klapperich wanted the farm hand to do the work. Mr. Klapperich said that when he asked Arthur Dickrell where the arsenate of lead was, Mr. Dickrell described the place where it should have been, but it was not there. “Finally, my wife and I found it in the cupboard,” he said. “She (Mrs. Klapperich) look at me and I looked at her. We both remembered that the doctor had told us the children had been poisoned. I told my wife to the get the bread, and I cut it open and hid it. Later, I went to Kiel and told the doctor what I had found and asked him to come out,” he stated. “I showed him the bread, as well as the arsenate of lead, and he took the bread along.” Mr. Klapperich also told of advising Mr. Dickrell that because of her mental condition, Mr. Dickrell should take his wife to an insane asylum. He quoted Mr. Dickrell as having said that, if she were taken, he would go, too, and he said Mr. Dickrell cried about it. Mrs. Klapperich, mother of Mrs. Dickrell, gave testimony similar to that given by her husband. She added that her daughter had confessed having taken her children in the family automobile and intending to asphyxiate them. Her daughter had acted strangely for a long time, the mother testified. Nick Dickrell, brother of Arthur, also told of hearing Mrs. Dickrell say she wanted to asphyxiate her children, and that she had bought some strychnine, intending to poison the family. The Daily Northwestern (Oshkosh WI) Sheboygan Press, Thurs. July 20, 1933, p. 1, c. 8

CATHERINE DICKRELL From Sheboygan county death records: Katherine Dickrell nee Roeder (v.41 p.381) Wife of Joseph Dickrell April 12, 1868-July 24, 1937 Daughter of Bartholomus Roeder and Anna Herderer Born Town of New Holstein Died from “chronic myocarditis –diffuse arteriosclerosis –[?] –senile psychosis” Buried at St. Anna Catholic Cemetery, Town of New Holstein ******** Mrs. Dickrell of Elkhart Lake Dies at Home Today. Elkhart Lake. – Mrs. Joseph Dickrell, 69, nee Catherine Roeder, passed away at her home here at 1 a.m. today. Funeral services will be held Tuesday at 10 a.m. at St. Ann’s Catholic church at St. Anna. The Rev. A.J. Reinl of Elkhart Lake will officiated assisted by the Rev. F. Bartelme of St. Ann’s church. Burial will be made in St. Anna cemetery. The body can be viewed at the Dickrell home from this evening to the time of services. Mrs. Dickrell was born in St. Anna April 12, 1868, and was united in marriage to Joseph Dickrell May 13, 1890. The couple lived in the town of New Holstein for two years, after which they moved to a farm in the town of Russell where they remained until November, 1925, when they came to Elkhart Lake. Mrs. Dickrell was a member of the Christian Mother societies of St. George’s parish here and of St. Ann’s parish at St. Anna. Besides her husband, Mrs. Dickrell is survived by three sons, Nick and Jacob, of the town of Russell, the latter residing on the homestead farm, and Andrew of Appleton; a daughter, Mrs. William Moritz, Milwaukee; 24 grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Elizabeth Mirsberger, Elkhart Lake, and Mrs. Anna Leonard, Hettinger, N.D., and a brother Anton Roeder, St. Anna. Two sons, George and Arthur, and three sisters preceded Mrs. Dickrell in death. Sheboygan Press, Sat. July 24, 1937, p. 4, c. 4 ********** Mrs. Joseph Dickrell Laid to Rest After Last Rites. Elkhart Lake, Wis. –Funeral services for Mrs. Joseph Dickrell, who passed away at her home here Saturday morning, were held at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at the family residence and at 10 a.m. at St. Ann’s church in St. Ann, the Rev. A.J. Reinl, pastor of St. George church here, officiating. Interment was in St. Ann’s cemetery, the following acting as pallbearers: Victor Jeanty, Joseph Hiederer, Anton Richart, Michael Wieseckl and August Zorn, all of St. Anna, and Eugene Perl of Kiel. Christian Mothers societies of St. Ann’s and St. George parishes of which Mrs. Dickrell had been a member escorted the remains to the church and to the cemetery. The St. Ann’s society carried their black-draped banner as the deceased had been a member for many years. There were many beautiful floral pieces and sprays and many spiritual bouquets. Among those from away who attended the services were Mrs. Joseph Ollinger of Chicago; Mrs. Agnes Dickrell, Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Dickrell, Mr. and Mrs. Walter F. Dorn and Mrs. Jerome Wettstein of Milwaukee; Theodore J. Dickrell of Milladore, Wis.; Mr. and Mrs. John Stahl of Fillmore, Wis.; Mr. and Mrs. Sylvan Klehr, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Graabinger and Mrs. Catherine Rietz of Random Lake, Mrs. Ann Michels and son, John, Mrs. John Wismuth, Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Mirsberger of Sheboygan; Mrs. Math. Winkel of Ada; Mr. and Mrs. Erwin Roeder of Chilton; Mr. and Mrs. Michael Boehnlein of Hayton, Wis.; Mrs. Math. Becker, Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Michels, Mrs. Eugene Perl, Mr. and Mrs. John Jost, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Lacroix, Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Brill of Kiel, and many others in this vicinity. Sheboygan Press, Thurs. July 29, 1937, p. 12, c. 1 ******** (Note: Her picture is in the glass negative photos)

JOHN DICKRELL Calumet County Native Called to Rest in Illinois. Elkhart Lake, Wis. – John Dickrell of Milwaukee died suddenly at 7 a.m. today from heart disease at the home of his son, John, at Toulon, Ill., with whom he was visiting. Mr. Dickrell was well known in this vicinity, having been born and raised in Calumet county. He was born January 18, 1860, in St. Anna. On July 15, 1890, he was married to Miss Agnes Possley, who, with the following named children survives: Mrs. A.J. Michaels of Elkhart Lake, Theodore J. Dickrell of Junction City, Wis., John N. Dickrell of Toulon, Ill., Mrs. Walter F. Dorn, Mrs. Cleo Nelli and Mrs. Edmund J. Schrang, all of Milwaukee. Fifteen grandchildren also survive. The family lived on a farm near St. Anna until 15 years ago when they traded the property for a general merchandise business in St. Anna. Seven years ago they sold the mercantile business and moved to Milwaukee where they have since resided. The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Monday in the St. Anna church, the Rev. J.H. Schmidt officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery. Sheboygan Press, Fri. June 19, 1931, p. 3, c. 8 ********* John Dickrell is Laid to Rest at Elkhart on Monday. Elkhart Lake. – The funeral of John Dickrell, Milwaukee, who passed away suddenly at the home of his son, John, at Toulon, Illinois on Friday, was held at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A.J. Michels, Elkhart Lake, Monday. The body was brought to Elkhart Lake Saturday. Services at the home were held at 9:30 a.m. and at 10 o’clock at St. Anna church at St. Anna, the former home of the Dickrell family. Interment was in the church cemetery with Rev. J.H. Schmitt officiating. The pallbearers were Victor and Nick Jeanty, Eugene Pearl, Jac. Steffes, John Turba and August Zorn. Among the many out-of-town persons who attended the funeral besides the children were Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Possley and son, Clarence of Fond du Lac; Mr. and Mrs. J. Walsdorf of Stanley; Mr. and Mrs. August Walsdorf, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Possley, Mr. and Mrs. Nic Possley, and daughter, Lenore of Thorpe; John Possley of Wisconsin Rapids; Milton Possley of New Franken, Henry Possley of Erie, Illinois, Mrs. Anna Michaels and son, John, Mrs. Mary Henke and Mrs. J Wismeth of Sheboygan, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Hertel and Mr. Francis Schram, Spring Valley, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hauser and family of Milwaukee; Mr. and Mrs. Nic Lecher and daughter, Rose, Mr. and Mrs. William Lecher, Mr. and Mrs. M. Possley, Nic Possely, Mr. and Mrs. John Mayer and Nic Paules and family of Fredonia. Relatives from Kiel and vicinity also attended. Sheboygan Press, Tues. June 23, 1931, p. 2, c. 7

JOSEPH DICKRELL Joseph Dickrell of the Town Russell Dies on Sunday. Kiel, Wis. –(Special) – Joseph Dickrell, aged 79, native of the town Russell, passed away at 1 a.m. Sunday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. William Moritz in Milwaukee, after an illness of three months. Deceased was born April 23, 1862, near St. Ann, town of Russell, the son of the late Nicholas and Anna Dickrell. On May 13, 1890, he was married to Miss Catherine Raeder(sic) of the town of New Holstein and the couple located on a farm two miles west of Kiel. Later they moved to a farm in the town of Russell and in 1925 moved to Elkhart Lake. His wife preceded him in death July 24, 1937, and since that time he made his home with his daughter in Milwaukee. Besides the daughter, Katherine, in Milwaukee, he is survived by three sons, Jacob and Nicholas in the town of Russell and Andrew in Appleton; 28 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, and one sister, Mrs. Anna Michaels of Sheboygan. A son, Arthur, preceded him in death. He was a member of the Holy Name society of St. Ann’s Catholic church and also of a Milwaukee Catholic church. Funeral services will be held at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the home of his son, Jacob, where he was born in the town of Russell, and at 9:30 a.m. at St. Ann’s Catholic church with interment in the adjoining cemetery. The Rev. Fr. C.F. Kern will officiate. Sheboygan Press, Mon. July 28, 1941, p. 2, c. 7 ********** Dickrell Funeral Services Held at St. Ann’s Church. Elkhart Lake, Wis. – Funeral services for Joseph Dickrell, who passed away last Sunday at the home of his daughter, Mrs. William Moritz, in Milwaukee with whom he made his home since the death of his wife four years ago, were held at 9 a.m. Wednesday at the home of his son, Jacob, and at 9:30 a.m. at St. Ann’s Catholic church at St. Anna of which parish he was a member until he retired in 1925 and disposed of his farm two and three-quarter miles southeast of that village to his son, Jacob. He then lived in Elkhart Lake until his wife passed away. The Holy Name society of St. Anna of which the deceased was a member escorted the body to the church and also to the final resting place in the cemetery near the church. The solemn requiem high mass was held with the Rev. C.F. Kern, pastor of St. Ann’s as celebrant, the Rev. Frederick Dorn, Superior of the seminary at St. Nazianz, as deacon, and the Rev. A.J. Reinl, pastor of St. George church in Elkhart Lake, as sub-deacon. The St. Ann’s choir sang the requiem high mass and also a few hymns at the grave. Mrs. Stanley Welker of Kiel, the former Henrietta Hoebl, was organist in the absence of Sister M. Alma the regular St. Ann’s organist. The three priests also officiated at the grave. Pallbearers were Joseph Hoefler, Edward, Henry and Nic Jeanty, Jr., Nic Pearl and Henry Turba. Besides the floral tributes which banked the casket at the home, there were many spiritual bouquets indicating the high esteem in which the deceased was held by all who knew him. Included with those from away who attended the services were Mr. and Mrs. William Moritz and family, Mrs. Agnes Dickrell, Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Kasprzak, Mr. and Mrs. Lavern Minor, Miss Cyrena Dickrell, Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Dickrell, Mr. and Mrs. Walter F. Dorn, Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Schrang, Mrs. J. Homner and son, Andrew, and Mr. and Mrs. Frank J. Michels, all of Milwaukee. Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Dickrell and family of Appleton; Joseph Dickrell, Jr., and Anthony Dickrell of Green Bay; Mr. and Mrs. T.J. Dickrell of Milladore; Mr. and Mrs. Paul Glaeser, Mrs. John Wismeth, Miss Elizabeth Henke, Miss Marie Michels and Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Mersberger of Sheboygan; Mr. and Mrs. John Stahl of Fillmore, Mr. and Mrs. Sylvan Klehr and Mr. and Mrs. Edward Grabinger and family of Random Lake; Mr. and Mrs. Math. Winker of Ada, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schram and family and Mrs. John Schram of Spring Valley, Mr. and Mrs. Nic Michels, Mr. and Mrs. John Johst, Mrs. Pauline Siever, Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Pearl, Mr. and Mrs. Zorn, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Lacroix and Mrs. Nic Klauck of Kiel; Mrs. Elizabeth Mirsberger, Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Michels, John Menne, J.P. Wolf, Mr. and Mrs. Orlo Stephens, Mr. and Mrs. H.J. Nametz, Mrs. R.E. Wedell and Mrs. Ed Grass of Elkhart Lake, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Weber of Marytown and many others from St. Anna and vicinity. Sheboygan Press, Sat. Aug. 2, 1941, p. 2, c. 7 (Note: His picture is in the glass negative photos)

MARY DICKRELL Mrs. Mary Dickrell, 71, formerly of the Town of Russell, died Thursday after a long illness. The daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Klapprich was born on Dec. 1, 1899 at Marytown, and was married to Arthur Dickrell in September, 1925, at St. Anna. The couple farmed in Russell until his death in 1933. Surviving are four sons, a daughter, four sisters and 23 grandchildren. A brother preceded her in death. The funeral Mass will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Anna Catholic Church, St. Anna, the Rev. Cyril Heeswyk, celebrant. Burial will be in the church cemetery. Friends may call Saturday morning at the Wittkopp Funeral Home, Plymouth, until time of church services. Sheboygan Press, Fri. Jan. 15, 1971, p. 14, c. 4 (Note: Her tombstone has b. 1898)

NICK DICKRELL Nick Dickrell, 82, of 1609 Mason St., New Holstein, died early Wednesday evening at Calumet Memorial Hospital, Chilton, where he had been a patient the past month. Mr. Dickrell was a former director of the Tri-County Co-op, the Sheboygan County Farm Bureau and the Calvary Mutual Fire Insurance Co. Mr. Dickrell left 116 direct descendants as survivors. He was born on March 8, 1892 in the Town of New Holstein, the son of the late Joseph and Katherine Roeder Dickrell. He attended St. Ann Parochial School, St. Anna. On Nov. 9, 1915 he married Norma Becker at Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Kiel. After marriage the couple operated a farm in the Town of Russell, until their retirement in 1964, when they moved to New Holstein. The couple celebrated their 59th wedding anniversary on Nov. 9 at Calumet Memorial Hospital. He was a member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church, New Holstein, its Holy Name Society, the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, New Holstein Branch, and the New Holstein Senior Citizens. Survivors are nine daughters, Sr. M. Imelda Ann of Silver Lake College, Manitowoc, Mrs. Edward (Martha) Kasprzak, Mrs. LaVerne (Alvira) Minor, Mrs. Henry (Cyrina) Turek and Mrs. Roland (Ermina) Mekka, all of Milwaukee, Mrs. Ervin (Mary Ann) Mytko, Mrs. Glenroy (Theresa) Greuel and Mrs. Alphonse (Imelda) Faust, all of rural Elkhart Lake, Mrs. Wilmer (Aurelia) Krebsbach of Fond du Lac; five sons, Nicholas Jr. of Sheboygan, Leo and Cletus of rural Elkhart Lake, Roman of New Holstein, and Donald of Denmark; 65 grandchildren and 37 great-grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Katherine Moritz of Milwaukee; two brothers, Jacob of rural Elkhart Lake and Andrew of Appleton. Two sons, two brothers and four grandchildren preceded him in death. A concelebrated funeral Mass will be offered at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Holy Rosary Catholic Church preceded by services at the Meiselwitz Funeral Home, Kiel, at 9:45 a.m. The Rev. Ralph Hermsen, pastor, and the Rev Cyril Dickrell, a nephew and pastor of St. Gregory Catholic Church, St. Nazianz, will be celebrants. Burial will be in St. Anna Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 3 p.m. Friday until the time of services. A combined Rosary by members of the Holy Name Society and the Catholic Knights will be recited at 7:30 p.m. Friday. A wake service will be held at 8 p.m. Friday. Sheboygan Press, Thurs. Nov. 14, 1974, p. 12, c. 4

NORMA DICKRELL Mrs. Nick Dickrell, 83, fomerly of 1609 Mason St., New Holstein, died Saturday morning, Feb. 16, at Calumet Memorial Hospital, Chilton, where she had been a patient for the past three weeks, she was living at the Willowdale Nursing Home at New Holstein for the past two months. Concelebrated Mass will be 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Holy Rosary Catholic Church, New Holstein. The Rev. Ralph Hermsen will officiate, following brief family rites at 10 a.m. at Mieselwitz Funeral Home, Kiel. Burial will be in St. Anne Cemetery at St. Anna. Mrs. Dickrell, nee Norma Becker, was born Sept. 18, 1897 at Kiel, daughter of the late Mathias and Martha Kaiser Becker. She attended Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic School at Kiel. She was married to Mr. Dickrell Nov. 9, 1915, at Ss. Peter and Paul Catholic, Kiel. They operated a farm in the Town of Russell until 1964 when they retired and moved to New Holstein. Mr. Dickrell preceded her in death in 1974. Mrs. Dickrell was a member of the Holy Rosary Catholic Church in New Holstein, the Christian Mothers Society of the church, Honorary member of St. Anne Christian Mothers Society of St. Anna, Catholic Knights, Daughters of Isabella, a member of the Tabernacle Society and the New Holstein Senior Citizens. Survivors include five sons, Nicholas Jr. of Sheboygan, Leo and Cletus of Rural Elkhart Lake, Roman of New Holstein and Donald of Denmark; nine daughters, Sister M. Imelda Ann of Silver Lake College in Manitowoc, Mrs. Edward (Martha) Kasprzak, Mrs. LaVerne (Alvira) Minor, Mrs. Henry (Cyrina) Turek and Mrs. Roland (Ermina) Mekka all of Milwaukee, Mrs. Ervin (Mary Ann) Mytko of New Holstein, Mrs. Glenroy (Theresa) Groeuel, Mrs. Alphonse (Imelda) Faust of Rural Elkhart Lake, Mrs. Wilmer (Aurelia) Krebabach of Fond du Lac; a brother, Leroy Becker of ElCerito, Calif.; a sister Mrs. Fred Wiederholdt of Chilton, 66 grandchildren and 66 great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by two sons, three sisters, three grandchildren and two great grandchildren. Friends may call at Meiselwitz Funeral Home after 4 p.m. Monday, wake service at 8 p.m, rosary service at 8:30 p.m. Monday evening. Herald Times Reporter, February 17, 1980 P.3

ROBERT DICKRELL Struck By Car; Boy, 5, Dies. A 5-year-old rural Elkhart Lake boy has become Sheboygan County’s second traffic fatality of the year. Robert Dickrell, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roman Dickrell of R. 2, Elkhart Lake, died of head injuries at 9:25 p.m. Saturday at Calumet Memorial Hospital in Chilton. His death occurred about nine hours after he was struck by a car on a town road in front of his parents’ farm home, about six miles northwest of Elkhart Lake. Investigating traffic officers identified the driver of the car as Ervin F. Mytko, 41, also of R. 2, Elkhart Lake, an uncle of the dead boy. Mytko told authorities that the boy darted into the roadway from the Dickrell driveway and that he was unable to see the boy because of high snow banks piled up at the edge of the driveway. Mytko’s wife, Mary Ann, 42, a passenger in the car driven by her husband, corroborated his statement. Mytko was not held. After conferring today with investigating officers and Sheriff Robert C. Frewert, Dist. Atty. Arthur J. Olsen concluded there was no evidence of negligence on the part of the driver. He said no charges would be filed. The Dickrell boy’s death was the second traffic fatality in Sheboygan County this year compared with seven on this date a year ago when a near record 29 persons lost their lives in highway accidents. Robert was one of four children of the Dickrells whose farm home is located about two miles east of St. Anna in the northwest corner of the county. The child was born June 30, 1959, at St. Nicholas Hospital in Sheboygan. In addition to his parents, survivors are two brothers, and a sister, the grandparents, Vern Salonen of Lake Norden, S.D. and Mr. and Mrs. Nick Dickrell, New Holstein, and the maternal great-grandmother, Mrs. Hilma Salonen in South Dakota. (Survivors edited for privacy) Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at St. Ann’s Catholic Church at St. Anna, following brief family rites at 10 o’clock at the Meiselwitz Funeral Home in Kiel. The Rev. Benedict H. Marx, pastor, will be celebrant of the Angel Mass. Burial will be in the parish cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 4 p.m. Tuesday. The rosary will be prayed there at 8 p.m. Tuesday. Sheboygan Press, Mon. Mar. 29, 1965, p. 1, c. 1